Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000 in wireless access mode query

D7000 in wireless access mode query

Just quick question, when a D7000 is setup in wireless access mode, does that mean wired ports are not available any more or can still be used like a switch to attach a PC to?

thanks in advance

Model: D7000v1|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Re: D7000 in wireless access mode query

Hi grasshopper1969, 

The LAN port will act as switch port. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Hi grasshopper1969, 

The LAN port will act as switch port. 

Message 2 of 6

thankyou, going to setup a wireless access point at my sons house through a wireless bridge from my place to his place so he doesnt have to pay for ISP account using his D7000, long as the lag is not to great for gaming.

Message 3 of 6

@grasshopper1969 wrote:

going to setup a wireless access point at my sons house through a wireless bridge from my place to his place so he doesnt have to pay for ISP account using his D7000.....

How do you plan to connect his D7000 to your network?

As a modem/router, it will work in wireless access point (AP) mode, but that has to be wired into your router.

From what I can see the D7000 does not work as a "wireless bridge", a wifi repeater that can connect to your router with wifi.

Message 4 of 6

Sorry should have been more specific, I have already setup wireless bridge to my sons house using x2 nanostations approx 300m away getting connection speed of around 480-500mbps both ways, he is connected using just his PC direct to my D7000 & tested gaming getting an increase of only 1-3ms delay, so was going to switch his D7000 to ap mode & connect his whole house through it instead of just his PC.

I have fibre connection getting round 720mbps down & 400mbps up & I dont need all that so thought good Idea to save him $100/month connection fee.

thanks

Message 5 of 6

That's a very different picture from the first limited detail.

The manual for the D7000 has details on how to put it into AP mode.

With that speed, ensure that your own router does not have QoS enabled. You don't need it and it will slow things down.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7