Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000v2 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Disconnect

rfinch23
Aspirant

D7000v2 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Disconnect

so this seems to have a well documented issue but i cannot find a solution, router keeps disconnecting however the connection light stays solid white, while the basic>internet connection status displays disconnected and there is no access to the internet via wifi or directly connected cable on phones, pc's tablets ect.. Help.

D7000v2 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router running Firmware Version V1.0.0.66_1.0.2

Roy

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 16

Re: D7000v2 – Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router Disconnect

@rfinch23 wrote:

so this seems to have a well documented issue

Can you point us to a message that describes this "well documented issue"? I ask because they may give us some clues and because some issues have various causes that depend on the circumstances. They can also stop people wasting your time with things that have already come up.

@rfinch23 wrote:

router keeps disconnecting however the connection light stays solid white, while the basic>internet connection status displays disconnected ...

These modem/routers have three key LEDs. The power LED, the DSL LED and the Internet LED.

Can you explain which indicators you mean by "connection light" and "basic>internet connection status"?

Message 2 of 16
rfinch23
Aspirant

Hi,

so in the netgear genie software under the basic tab the first box internet status shows disconnected and is red, all lights on the router are on and steady white including the power LED, the DSL LED and the Internet LED. 

Roy

Message 3 of 16

@rfinch23 wrote:

Hi,

so in the netgear genie software under the basic tab the first box internet status shows disconnected and is red, all lights on the router are on and steady white including the power LED, the DSL LED and the Internet LED. 

Which genie is that? This could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac program for a PC, or a mobile Android/iThing app. Netgear labels them all as genies. Which are you using?

The only one with a "Basic" tab is the router graphical user interface. That's not really what most people call a genie.

If you mean the mobile app, then maybe you aren't connected to the wifi from the router.

Message 4 of 16
rfinch23
Aspirant

Ok lets call it the router graphical user interface, the one that displays itself as NetGear Genie in the web interface.

so as explained all the lights are solid white and yet what ever device I use to logon to the  router graphical user interface shows the connection as disconnected. that is using a Mac, pc or mobile web browser, and there is no internet connection as I can get nowhere via any web browser on any device or ping, tracert nslookup ect.

Roy

Message 5 of 16

@rfinch23 wrote:

Ok lets call it the router graphical user interface, the one that displays itself as NetGear Genie in the web interface.

so as explained all the lights are solid white and yet what ever device I use to logon to the  router graphical user interface shows the connection as disconnected. that is using a Mac, pc or mobile web browser, and there is no internet connection as I can get nowhere via any web browser on any device or ping, tracert nslookup ect.

So, the LEDs and the GUI disagree with one another.

Solid white is a bit odd. Those LEDs usually flash when there is action. Do you mean solid? Do they flash when things are behaving as expected?

Have you ever tried a reset on the modem/router?

We still don't know where you have seen previous reports of this behaviour. I cannot recall seeing earlier mentions of this behaviour. That might point us to a known hardware issue.

Message 6 of 16
rfinch23
Aspirant

hi see below taken from,Solved: Re: D7000v2 dropping internet connection - NETGEAR Communities, and yes all the light seen to be solid white all the time.

ince making those three changes, my D7000v2 has been behaving itself very well. It has disconnected itself from the internet only once in the past 10 days. Previously it was disconnecting several times per day. Therefore, I am hoping that my problem is fixed. I am no expert but my guess is that changing the MTU size did it. However, I also decided to purchase 6 months of technical support in case I had further problems which might require a replacement unit.

Finally, I have noticed something which might be significant or not. When my D7000v2 randomly disconnects itself from the internet and I log in to the admin interface, I observe the following:

The ‘Internet’ button on the Basic Home page says Not Connected (in red). But simultaneously, the Connection Status window shows ‘Connecting to server’ is On, which means the modem is still connected - see attached screenshot. (The LEDs on the D7000 all remain solid white.)

If I then click ‘Connect’ in the Connection Status window, nothing happens, which confirms that it is connected. When I click ‘Disconnect’, a pop-up message says ‘To reestablish the connection, click the Connect button’ and when I click OK, ‘Connecting to server’ changes to Off. If I then click ‘Connect’, ‘Connecting to server’ changes back to On and the Internet’ button changes to Status:Good (in green) after the page is refreshed, and the D7000v2 is reconnected to the internet.

My observations would seem to suggest that whenever my D7000 randomly disconnects, the modem part is still connected, but for some reason the router part thinks it is not connected.

Message 7 of 16

Your ISP should be able to tell you things like MTU settings. That's its domain.

I'm on 1492 on BT in the UK.

If the ISP has its own user community, that might also be useful.

Are you accessing the modem/router's GUI with a wired connection or with a wifi link? Both should work.

@rfinch23 wrote:

However, I also decided to purchase 6 months of technical support in case I had further problems which might require a replacement unit.

Warranty and support are two different things. A new device has at least a year of support, depending on where you are. (The US seems to have the poorest consumer protection.) So you should not need to pay to replace dodgy hardware.

Message 8 of 16
rfinch23
Aspirant

i belive 1492 on BT in the UK. is for iffinity i have standard bb due to location that is 1458 and set at the moment, i did try 1492 but had the same issue. accessing via bith wire and wifi seeing the same.

Message 9 of 16

@rfinch23 wrote:

i belive 1492 on BT in the UK. is for iffinity i have standard bb due to location that is 1458 and set at the moment

Does Infinity still exist? BT seems to have dropped the brand.

I'm on >60 Mbps from FTTC (fibre to the cabinet).

I recently had a bout of disconnections from my Netgear DM200 modem. (I don't like modem/routers, too limited.) My natural inclination, based on past experience, is to blame BT for the disconnects. In my case the DSL drops. No similar events for the past month or so. Nothing changed at my end.

Message 10 of 16
rfinch23
Aspirant

saddly  the cuitcit has been checked by a bt engineer home visit and no fault was found, i would also like to bring you attention the the following link.https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/D7000v2-dropping-internet-connection/td-p/181576...

Message 11 of 16
abdullah065
Aspirant

Hi, have you found a fix for this issue?

I am on 50Mbps fibre and having the same problem. Some days, like today, it disconnects several times within a few hours, other days it disconnects once a day and at times it goes weeks without disconnecting.

Had the same issue with my previous ISP as well and when I connect my ISP provided router the problem does not exist any longer (this with my previous and current ISP). So it is definately the router that is causing it.

And btw, you're correct in saying it is a "well documented issue" - a simple Google search will tell you this.

Message 12 of 16

@abdullah065 wrote:

Hi, have you found a fix for this issue?

I am on 50Mbps fibre and having the same problem.

This conversation is about the D7000v2 modem/router. That is a DSL device. It does not support what is commonly known as "fibre" Internet.

DSL, like all Internet, certainly has fibre in the network, but it usually stops well way from your front door, in a cabinet  in the street.

So what sort of Internet are you talking about? Are you using the D7000v2 as a modem/router or just as a router. (Or even in modem-only mode.)

Finally, you have joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is also a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

Message 13 of 16
abdullah065
Aspirant

I have what we call FTTH (fibre to the home) In my neck of the woods we just refer to it as "fibre".

I have a box outside my house and then a cable from that box which goes into an ONT which is located in my study and then a cable from the ONT to my Netgear router/modem.

I know exactly what type of internet connection and modem/router I have.

I am not here to debate over semantics.

I am here to find a solution to my problem.

So if you do not have the solution to my problem kindly refrain my commenting further.

Thanks. Bye.

Message 14 of 16

@abdullah065 wrote:

I know exactly what type of internet connection and modem/router I have.

I am not here to debate over semantics.

You do, but we don't. It is silly to dismiss the right terminology as "semantics".

The D7000v2 is a DSL modem/router. It can work in several different modes: modem/router, modem only, router only, or wireless access point.

As you can see from the earlier conversation, troubleshooting depends on working out how best to configure the device for the Internet service you have.

@abdullah065 wrote:

I have what we call FTTH (fibre to the home) in my neck of the woods.

I have a box outside my house and then a cable from that box which goes into an ONT which is located in my study and then a cable from the ONT to my Netgear router/modem.

Does this mean that you are in Australia and on the NBN network?

@abdullah065 wrote:

So if you do not have the solution to my problem kindly refrain my commenting further.

You won't get much in the way of solutions if people don't know what your network is.

Good luck with your search for solutions.

Message 15 of 16
rfinch23
Aspirant

No, swapped out the router in the end

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements