Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000v2 Nighthawk + DGN3500 repeater

Shmuph
Aspirant

D7000v2 Nighthawk + DGN3500 repeater

Hi all, I had a Netgear DGN3500 router which wasn't quite cutting the mustard for WiFi. I like Netgear so after some research replaced it with the D7000v2 Nighthawk. Great start. Faster WiFi, dual network, blah blah. However, I have some areas in my house which aren't so good for signal, so I assumed I could use the old box as an extender (repeater mode?) both seem compatible for this but I can't get the settings right.
Some articles show to use the same SSID, others don't. I got the 2.4 of the Nighthawk on the same channel as the 3500, found the settings on the 3500 router page to enter the Mac addresses of the base (D7000) and the repeater but can't get Internet via the 3500....driving me mad! I'd really appreciate some help, I've even got them both wired to 2 separate laptops so I don't have to keep logging in and out of the respective router login pages.
Help!!! 😣
[if anyone knows the facts about how repeating a signal can affect the speed as well I'd be really interested.]
Thanks in advance.
John
Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: D7000v2 Nighthawk + DGN3500 repeater

@Shmuph wrote:
Hi all, I had a Netgear DGN3500 router

In reality the DGN3500 is a modem/router. These are limited on what you can do in other roles.

@Shmuph wrote:
However, I have some areas in my house which aren't so good for signal, so I assumed I could use the old box as an extender (repeater mode?) both seem compatible for this but I can't get the settings right.

If you mean that you want to use it is a wifi repeater, this is one of the things that some modem/routers cannot do. They are easier to setup as wireless access points, wired to the LAN port in the source router.

There is support for the DGN3500 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> DGN3500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Check the section Building Wireless Bridging and Repeating Networks.

Unfortunately, this device is now approaching its 10 birthday, which means that the manual is even harder to understand than new ones. 

From the diagrams in the manual, it isn't obvious to me that the DGN3500 will work as the repeating bridge in the middle of a wifi network. Source, yes. Bridge, no.

To be honest, the DGN3500 is so old that I can't see any point in reusing it. According to Netgear's manual, the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. Also, it doesn't support 5 GHz wifi.

Message 2 of 6
Shmuph
Aspirant

Thanks for replying, there is an area in the settings where you can choose the DGN to be the base or the repeater station by entering the MACs of both, so I assumed it would work. My Internet speeds are poor which is why I hoped it would work to extend the signal. I may just have to look at buying at dedicated extender instead, was hoping I could be clever and save some money and just repeat the 2.4G signal for some extra coverage. Thanks again for your response.
Message 3 of 6
antinode
Guru

> [...] there is an area in the settings [...]

Not a very detailed description of anything.

> [...] you can choose the DGN to be the base or the repeater station by
> entering the MACs of both, so I assumed it would work. [...]

What _did_ you specify, where, on the DGN3500 and on the D7000v2?

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Page 75 may explain
everything.

Presumably, you don't want "a Point-to-Point Bridge Configuration",
which would preclude normal wireless clients from connecting to the main
router.  "a Repeater with Wireless Client Association" might do what you
want, if your D7000v2 can cooperate in such an arrangement.

Considering the time span between these products, I wouldn't bet that
Netgear ever tested such a configuration.

> [...] buying at dedicated extender instead, [...]

Probably more likely to work with less effort.  Another possibility
would be to configure the DGN3500 as a wireless access point, and run an
Ethernet cable between the two gizmos.  (Or use a pair of Powerline
devices and your house power wiring to emulate an Ethernet cable.)
What's cheap/easy in your situation is tough to determine from here.

Message 4 of 6
Shmuph
Aspirant

I specified in the DGN setting that I wanted the D7000 to be the base and the DGN to be the repeater but there is nowhere in the D7000 settings to set up that as the bridge. I can't use powerline adaptors due to the way my ehouse extension is on separate electrical circuits (I've tried) and can't run an ethernet cable without drilling it through 3/4 walls or running it down the stairs. I have consulted both manuals to no avail, which is what prompted me to ask on a forum. Internet searches suggested if I set the IP addresses correct, turned off a DCHP setting on the DGN and set the channels to be the same, that it would be simple enough, but this was for different routers and I haven't managed to match this on my set up. Thanks.
Message 5 of 6
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

I would recommend to setup the DGN3500 as Access Point. But you insist to setup the WDS, please check the links below.

https://kb.netgear.com/12512/DGN3500-FAQs

https://kb.netgear.com/2745/How-To-Set-WDS-Repeater-Function-on-WNDR3300-WNR3500

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7