Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7000v2 Nighthawk - is there support for Australian NBN's SOS-ROC?

nigelb6
Initiate

D7000v2 Nighthawk - is there support for Australian NBN's SOS-ROC?

Hey there.

This March my Infrastructure provider (also my ISP) "NBN Co" is upgrading NBN FTTB/N services with a requirement for all modems to support a new stability feature called SOS-ROC.

Can the D7000v2 Nighthawk support this?

I can't see anything on the NETGEAR site where any firmware update note's this.

Thanks peoples.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 10
Tika
Tutor

Re: D7000v2 Nighthawk - is there support for Australian NBN's SOS-ROC?

I just spoke to IInet as I have the same question and just cant find an answer. He checked the manual and confirmed I can continue using this model. I am still skeptical but will wait and see and hope for the best. 

Unfortunately Netgears support is really bad to get professional help unless you are happy to pay. Pathetic service, never experienced anything like that. 

Message 2 of 10
nigelb6
Initiate

Thanks T.

Hopefully I can get a definitive answer before NBN's changes..

Message 3 of 10
Tika
Tutor

Ok, I found more info. 

According to this page 

https://www.letsbemates.com.au/mate/faq/vdsl-modem-compatibility/

it says:"VDSL modems that use an Intel or Lantiq chipset may no longer work or may require a firmware update to work." This model is listed as may not work and needs a firm upgrade which we probably wont get... But this "may not" doesnt really help us. 

This page confirms us the D7000v2 has this chipset but D7000 may have not? You probably have v2 as well?

http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Netgear_D7000v2

http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Netgear_D7000

Do you have a standard modem at home from your ISP? IInet said they are supposed to work, so if nighthawk isnt working you'd have time to look around. I have a hard time finding something with good reviews and a modem/router that has a wide range. 

Thinking of Fritz box but its expensive.

I wonder if D7000 is not working whether I could still bridge it with a router?

And why did iinet support confirmed its definetely working? lol

Message 4 of 10

@Tika wrote:

I wonder if D7000 is not working whether I could still bridge it with a router?

"Bridge" is one of those words that means different things in different contexts. For a modem/router, it usually means "modem only".

If the D7000 does not work as a  modem, then you can use it as a router after a modem. This is easily done. Just read how to do it in the manual. Look for details on using it with a cable service.

Message 5 of 10
Kornyj
Aspirant

I Assume It's a 50/50, bit annoying, I have customers With These Modems, and I Can't Tell Them 100% if They Need A New Modem Or Not.

Message 6 of 10
Tika
Tutor

That would imply it is only essential for a modem to work with SOS/ROC and not the router?

In that case I could simply use my ISP modem and connect Nighthawk as a router, yes?

All I would need to do is changing some settings with Nighthawk or modem as well? This is all new to me and something I never wanted to bother with. 🙂

Thanks!

Message 7 of 10
Tika
Tutor

I rang some retailers who all had no knowledge of these changes. Finding a new VDSL modem that will work is still a 50/50 at the moment, unless we ring every brand personally.

Maybe in 2 weeks they can tell us more. Would be great if you can post any updates! I will too.  

Message 8 of 10

@Tika wrote:

That would imply it is only essential for a modem to work with SOS/ROC and not the router?

In that case I could simply use my ISP modem and connect Nighthawk as a router, yes?

Yes.

The router does not care about how the Internet gets to you. The same router will work on DSL, cable or fibre, even a satellite of mobile network. As long as it puts out an Ethernet connection, away you go.

Just get the a manual for your modem/router and read the bit that explains how to use its Internet port to connect it to a "fiber or cable modem".

This is implied in the Netgear article on NBN, where it says that you can use various modems to connect to NBN regardless of its flavour.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It does not make not clear that the DSL modem has to be in "router mode".

As to Netgear's failure to work with NBN's new implementation of DSL, it is a sad fact of life that no device producer can make hardware that is "forward compatible" with whatever the geniuses behind NBN decide to do.

Message 9 of 10
Tika
Tutor

Thats really good news, thanks a lot!

"As to Netgear's failure to work with NBN's new implementation of DSL, it is a sad fact of life that no device producer can make hardware that is "forward compatible" with whatever the geniuses behind NBN decide to do."

Absolutely, couldnt agree more. If you are referring to my first comment, its in regards to getting any personal advice from them without paying for an extra insurance. They only help you 60 days after purchase, after that you are on your own unless you pay. I dont know any company who does that and wouldnt buy Netgear again only for this very reason. Like so many others, I have to reboot my device often as it drops out. They wouldnt help me without extra charge but sent me a broshure to figure it out myself. It explained the basics I already knew. Its bad customer care at its finest. 

Anyway, it is a good router otherwise.

Thanks again.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7