Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: D7800 Firmware Update to v1.0.1.24

rm072
Aspirant

D7800 Firmware Update to v1.0.1.24

NETGEAR Engineers,

Somewhat unclear on the issue, but the firmware update to the latest version (1.0.1.20 --> 1.0.1.24) has caused nothing but connectivity issues.

No DSL light activity on the modem/router was evident at all after the update. Thought it was initially a local exchange issue with my provider (ie. Telstra), but even after a factory reset and an import of my saved CFG file settings, there was still no DSL connection.

An interesting point though is, after going back to the setup screen from the factory reset and having the modem/router apply automatic settings, it would state there was no DSL cable connected - the cable is relatively new and un-plugging/plugging-back-in didn't help. It was like the port was totally disbled?

I've rolled back to v1.0.1.20 with my saved settings and the problem is fixed.

Any thoughts/ideas? 

Message 1 of 43

Accepted Solutions

You are not alone:

Netgear Nighthawk D7800 - Faulty firmware - .24 - NETGEAR Communities

but even after a factory reset and an import of my saved CFG file settings, there was still no DSL connection.

For completeness, any experiments with the new firmware should look at what happens without restoring the settings.

Some firmware updates change things in ways that are not compatible with older settings. So restoring them can reintroduce whatever bugs the new firmware was design to fix.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 43

All Replies

You are not alone:

Netgear Nighthawk D7800 - Faulty firmware - .24 - NETGEAR Communities

but even after a factory reset and an import of my saved CFG file settings, there was still no DSL connection.

For completeness, any experiments with the new firmware should look at what happens without restoring the settings.

Some firmware updates change things in ways that are not compatible with older settings. So restoring them can reintroduce whatever bugs the new firmware was design to fix.

Message 2 of 43
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi there , I can confirm , I ran numerous tests after downloading the Firmware  .24. I factory reset the modem & applied .24 again to see if it had an issue with installing the update. I then  uploaded the last CFG file i saved on 4th August with my settings , still no Internet light showing. Then factory restored again & used Netgear Genie to connect , of course it couldnt find the VDSL line. Then erased modem & re-installed verson .22 firmware & bingo it started working again, re-loaded my CFG file & back to square one with a working modem. Hope this helps... David

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 3 of 43
sking2004
Aspirant

Having the same issues with .24 firmware. Everything was working well on .22 but once I upgraded to .24 I had no VDSL connection. I performed a factory reset and the auto configure said there was no phone cable connected. I tried a manual set up of just the internet settings and same thing. Rolling back to .22 and adding back my cfg give me internet access again.
Message 4 of 43
Brainstorm71
Aspirant

Same problem here.  No VDSL connection and WiFi access stopped working as well after Firmware Update v1.0.1.24.  Ethernet was the only way to access the local network.

Tried power off/on and reset button procedure but had no affect.

I had to download the previous firmware from work so I could rollback to Firmware v1.0.1.22.  Lesson learnt, make sure you have the previous firmware version on hand before you update 🙂

I have had frequent problems with the D7800 and stable VDSL connection but note that it had been a little better since v1.0.1.22 firmware.

Message 5 of 43
rm072
Aspirant

Thanks all for the replies - I'm somewhat glad it wasn't just my D7800 Smiley Happy

Sounds like everyone has had the ability to rollback successfully which is the most important thing. Like any update, always backup your config settings. 

Looks like NETGEAR have some troubleshooting to do.... 

Message 6 of 43
Lazza040
Apprentice

Do they read the forum replies? Being new not sure if we are suppoed to report it to someone?

Message 7 of 43
Wayne_E
Guide

I have just been through the exercise of attempting to contact support to let them know of their error in the v1.0.1.24 bios update.

Unfortunately Netgear have completely insulated themselves from their customers- the only way I could find to formally contact them was to take up a paid Service Contract as I am outside my 90 day service period (where I could contact them for free).  Bit of an odd philosophy - does not seem to fit with ongoing survival of a business. 

Clearly I am not going to pay them to inform them of their error.

So maybe the 1.0.1.22 bios is the last working update Australian NBN users we will get on the D7800 unless Netgear do monitor all the forum traffic. I think it unlikely they would, perhaps time to look at an alternative modem provider that is accessible for feedback. 

Message 8 of 43

@Lazza040 wrote:

Do they read the forum replies? Being new not sure if we are suppoed to report it to someone?

There are a few Netgear support people here.

Maybe they will see these discussions. Or you could send a PM to one of them. ElaineM, for example.

Message 9 of 43
DiggerDawson
Aspirant

Same problem. Reverted to 1.0.1.22 and will stay there for now. 

Message 10 of 43
clarkiej
Aspirant

Same issue here. Definitly a problem with the firmware. Rolled back to 1.0.1.20 and VDSL worked fine. Updgraded backl to 1.0.1.22 and VDSL working fine. Upgraded back to 1.0.1.24 and VDSL no longer connects. Looking at teh settings after doing a factory reset, the VDSL service is OFF by default. Took a number of goes before it showed ON. But I suspect it is actually still turned off. Rolled back to 1.0.1.22 and immediately back to working. Dewfinitly an issue with teh exterenal port function with the 1.0.1.24 firmware. You have to wonder about their testing process.

Message 11 of 43
siroakley
Aspirant

Exact same issue with fttn tpg

1.0.1.24 is clearly bugged

Message 12 of 43
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi all , hopefully if you check in your modem for firmware update , it should offer .25 which is stable & worked for me!! I am on iinet FTTN...

Message 13 of 43
DiggerDawson
Aspirant

I’ll give it a go.

Message 14 of 43
sking2004
Aspirant

Mine is still showing me .24 and not .25

Message 15 of 43

Message 16 of 43
siroakley
Aspirant

Search still shows version 1.0.1.24 for me

Message 17 of 43
bdsee
Aspirant

I only upgraded two days ago and it offered me .24, and I went to the website and didn't see a .25. Are you sure you are talking about the same modem/router?

Message 18 of 43
DiggerDawson
Aspirant

@bdsee wrote:

I only upgraded two days ago and it offered me .24, and I went to the website and didn't see a .25. Are you sure you are talking about the same modem/router?

Yeah, looks like it's not there. I'm sticking with .22 which is working fine.

Message 19 of 43
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hey , ask one of the mods to the link to .25.... Surpised they havent offered to all yet?

Message 20 of 43
pac103
Tutor

It is definitely the firmware, I only connected with the NBN last week.  At first it worked until the modem downloaded the new .24 firmare amd I lost my connection. Spent 40 minutes on the phone with ISP and they recommended I contact Netgear. Unfortunately nobody there must read their own community boards because I spent an hour on the phone with Netgear tech support, I was told it could not possibly be the firmware and was to spend an hour unplugging, resetting etc etc. Finally I begged to be told how I could reload an older firmware and the phone went dead. Luckily I have a tech savvy friend who downloaded an old firmware version installed it on my computer and presto it worked. Maybe Netgear should inform their support staff to look at these forums.

Message 21 of 43

@pac103 wrote:

Finally I begged to be told how I could reload an older firmware and the phone went dead.

For future reference, and for anyone else who wants to do the same thing, visit the support pages for your device:

>>> D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Visit:

D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Check out the Previous Versions of the firmware, best try the one before the firmware that is giving you grief, then read and follow the instructions in the Release Notes.

As you can see, this saga has been going on for a couple of months. That's why there is so much advice here on what to do. Pity the phone support people don't know about it.

Message 22 of 43
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi there , had the same issue , found out there are NO Australian netgear techs anymore , so no local knowledge to help. Funny thing is they were happy to RMA the unit when I knew dam well it wasnt faulty... But that is the problem we have with a big company , and poor technical support..

Message 23 of 43
clarkiej
Aspirant

Netgear dont want to acknowledge they have released a faulty firmware update. This is obvious by the fact that they have not taken the 1.0.1.24 version despite the numerous complaints on the netgear and other forums regarding the "bricking" effect of this release on accessing teh internet, which is immediately negated by rolling back to a previous version.

Message 24 of 43

This seems to be an NBN specific issue. Hard to pin down, especially if Netgear has no .au support people.

Of course, it might also owe something to the wonders of whoever is masterminding NBN, which seems to be a uniquely Australian approach to broadband.

Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7