Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7800 Firmware Update to v1.0.1.24

pac103
Tutor

Re: D7800 Firmware Update to v1.0.1.24

Thanks I agree that the forum would be the best resource. But I didnt have access to the internet except my phone + I had 90 days of free phone support. So that made it really hard to access the community so I was really stuck between a rock and a hard place as they say, hence the need to get a old firmware download off a friends computer.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 26 of 43

Indeed. I am amazed at how many people turn up here with seemingly dead hardware but still manage to get a connection.

This is, I tell myself, why I keep all those obsolete boxes lying around. You never know when you might have to dust one off to get it back on line.

It is also one reason for not binning the "free" (but often useless) modems that ISPs supply. Mine is still in its shrink wrap.

Message 27 of 43
ZaxAttax
Aspirant

Hi friends.  I upgraded to .24 recently.  I had a BBQ in the garden with lots of people coming around, so I tried enabling the GUEST network.  As soon as I enabled both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz GUEST networks, my main 2.4GHz network died.  The only way I could get the main 2.4GHz network up was to disable the 2.4GHz GUEST network.

Having read all the problems with .24 and I now going to downgrade to .22 and see if the GUEST network works properly without killing my main 2.4GHz network.

Message 28 of 43

@ZaxAttax wrote:

Hi friends.  I upgraded to .24 recently.

Once again we are working on incomplete information. Did you reset the device after the firmware update?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have problems with new firmware.

You can backup your settings before the reset and restore them later. That may just bring back the fault, but at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Message 29 of 43
ZaxAttax
Aspirant

Hi.  Yes, excellent question.  I did a full hard reset from the pin hole button on the back of the router and then configured my settings from scratch (not from my backup config file) to get my internet working again.

Message 30 of 43

Good to know that another user recovered their sanity with a factory reset. The value of this move seems to depend on the changes that came with the update.Unfortunately, Netgear rarely mentions this in its firmware release notes.

You have now confirmed that for some people at least the move to  v1.0.1.24 on the D7800 required a reset. Thanks for the feedback. Hope it helps other victims.

Message 31 of 43
c64tm
Aspirant

Actually, no... have done numerous factory resets. Does not work... it doesnt even attempt to find a dsl signal. 

Pull the dang firmware off the server.

Message 32 of 43

Works for some, but not, it seems, everyone. As it doesn't suit you, you can go back to the previous version.

Message 33 of 43
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi all , there is a new firmware v1.0.1.25 (beta firmware update ) , but you need to ask for it via PM to Netgear. V1.0.1.24 is a dud , and dont let anyone else tell you it isnt , if you live in Australia , and on NBN FTTN, as it will drop your DSL line. Appreciate the moderators help , but it still not showing on the Netgear website to download .25 yet. I am sure if it was , you would have less customers coming here. In Australia too , I am sure Netgear is fully aware of the new consumer laws , and the customer is full within their rights for a refund , as per new guidelines , so it is in the best interest that Netgear provides the update asap, or retailers will be sending back modems left right & centre for RA. 

Message 34 of 43
brent3000
Tutor

I have been working with L2 support with Netgear around the issue, currently the .24 and .25 have issued (hence the beta) which is why there is no patch,

There is a major issue with .24 and .25 fixed this but had other issued (my one is having socket errors now which is what the logs are for)

Im waiting for an update else im going to keep RMA'ing the unit if there is not fix before end of this month TBH,

Message 35 of 43
ZaxAttax
Aspirant

Hi again friends.  Something else which started happening after I upgraded to .24 (and after I hard reset and re-configured all the settings) was that the Wi-Fi started dropping out more frequently... too frequently.

I have used one of the many apps on my smartphone to change the 2.4GHz channel setting from AUTO to an actual channel number which shows as having less interference in case that was it, but that didn't make a difference.  This problem with Wi-Fi dropouts was not happening when I was on the previous version (it was .16 as I had been reluctant to upgrade).

Until .25 is released as a stable version (for whatever that is worth), I think I will be going to .22 as that seems to be getting the most favourable feedback at the moment.

Message 36 of 43
Gaz77a
Aspirant

Please note the issue affects more than just NBN connections in Australia. 

It also effects ADSL 2+ in Australia. 

It it is extremely frustrating that Netgear is not monitoring these forums and posting the results of their own investigations. 

Message 37 of 43
Gaz77a
Aspirant

V1.0.1.28 has been released but I don’t see any mention of a fix for the above mentioned issue. 

Has anyone installed v28 and if so was the issue resolved?

Message 38 of 43

@Gaz77a wrote:

Please note the issue affects more than just NBN connections in Australia. 

It also effects ADSL 2+ in Australia. 

NBN comes in many flavours.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 39 of 43
Lazza040
Apprentice

Hi all , bit the bullet and downloaded V1.0.1.28 from within D7800 modem portal. It is performing well so far , at least it hasnt dropped the VDSL connection. So for those who are wanting to update from V1.0.1.22 , I would wait for a couple more users to confirm. But I can surf the net , from wired & wireless , so gets my tick of approval so far.

Message 40 of 43
clarkiej
Aspirant

Just did the same. First time the router has not wanted to run through the setup procedures again, and went straight back on the internet after a firmware update. Will see how stable the connection stays.

Message 41 of 43
Gaz77a
Aspirant

...Michael wrote

NBN comes in many flavours....

My understanding is that all of the NBN flavours use different technology to the old ADSL2+. 

ADSL2+ and it’s variants are connected to the ADSL2+ port on the router where the NBN variants are connected to the VDSL/VDSL2 port. 

Let me me know if this is not the case. 

However I was was wanting to make it clear that the firmware issue affected both ports and not just the VDSL port. 

Regards

Gary

Message 42 of 43

Message 43 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7