Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7800 disconnects whilst using bittorrent

dkl_uk
Aspirant

D7800 disconnects whilst using bittorrent

I've had this modem since Amazon Prime day and I am far from impressed. Random internet disconnects are pushing me to sending this back and going back to the Sky router instead.

I am using firmware 1.0.1.10. I have enabled and disabled an array of different options including DOS protection, IGMP, DMZ, SIP ALG, opening the NAS up, but every time I fire up my torrent client my internet goes down and the router must be rebooted.

The following can be seen in the log:

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 165.254.42.56, port 80

There's also a DOS ATTACK Ascend Kill as well.

I never had this issue with my HomeHub4 nor did I have it for the one day I used the Sky router.

Does anyone have any further recommendations beyond changing every setting I can think of already?

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: D7800 disconnects whilst using bittorrent

Hello dkl_uk

Have you tried to use another torrent client to see if the same thing is happening?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
dkl_uk
Aspirant

I've tried uTorrent and qBitTorrent.

I have tried three different machines, two laptops and a desktop.

Initially, wired performance seemed OK but then the disconnects happened again.

I have changed the MTU for the wireless adapter on one laptop and have reduced the global & per torrent connections.

I can watch 1080p YouTube without issue, but if I fire up a torrent client, as soon as the torrents get to about 700-800K/s the internet connection just drops. The router itself appears fine, but internet connections cease to work.

Message 3 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello dkl_uk

Have you tried to lower the max number of connections in the bittorrent clients you use?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 9
dkl_uk
Aspirant

Yes, global is now at 100 with 30 per torrent and upload slots is now 10 per torrent. I have enabled the option to apply bandwidth restrictions to the overhead and I have also applied the bandwidth limits to utp connections.

I was able to download a windows 10 iso image direct from Microsoft last night utilising my full bandwidth capacity for an hour without issue, but the torrents disconnected me five times in less than an hour.
Message 5 of 9
jalati
Tutor

+1 connection drops instantly when torrenting anything on any device and on any client and even limiting the amount of connections. V1.0.1.16

Message 6 of 9
dkl_uk
Aspirant

Oh no, is it still bad? I was half considering going back to one of these routers when I move house next week to a larger property but if they've not worked out the issues then I'll be staying away.
Message 7 of 9
jalati
Tutor

switched clients and reduced connections to 100. got it to work. been pretty solid so far, couple of wan drops for no reason, looked at logs says dos attack which is bs.

Message 8 of 9
dkl_uk
Aspirant

Yeah the DDoS thing in the log was a constant issue. Got worse with a torrent client fired up. I sent my router back along long time ago and went back to using the stock ISP router from Sky in the end.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7