Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D8500 Firmware Version 1.0.3.29

orion_jb2001
Guide

D8500 Firmware Version 1.0.3.29

Hi,

It appears from other posts that there may be a bug in the above Firmware Version 1.0.3.29, affecting local access.   Do we know if there is a fix going to be implemented and should we be reverting to Firmware Version 1.0.3.28 till that happens??

P.S. The D8500 is NOT in the model selection list above......

Message 1 of 5
orion_jb2001
Guide

Re: D8500 Firmware Version 1.0.3.29

******* URGENT URGENT URGENT ***********************************

Do not, do not, do not upgrade to firmward 1.0.3.29.   It nearly kill your machine.  I have just spent 3 hours with Netgear support trying to revert this firmware to a previous version.  We got to the stage that the support techs were happy, the router had been bricked, take it back and get a new one.  I tried one last time to revert the firmware, using my laptop, instead of the PC, using internet explorer and not Chrome (when trying to revert using chrome, it kept on resetting and not upgrading the firm ware.   Managed to revert to the original 1.0.3.25 and solved the local accress problem ver 29 was causing.  I couldn't get into access control, amongst other things.  I can now get into these features, with the original firmware.

************************  DO NOT USE FIRMWARE 1.0.3.29 FOR D8500 UPGRADE*********************************

Hopefully Netgear will be pulling this off line and looking at what caused the issues.

Message 2 of 5
Xcapee
Star

I just purchased the D8500 - I've got to say it seems like a complete disappointment so far, for having spent so much money. 

The first thing I did was put the latest firmware on it. 

Either the product itself is CRAP, or this firmware release is!!!

I can't access "Access Control" AT ALL

The web server in the device seems to crash or stop responding, and I have to REBOOT the &%^($@&*^() gething  to get access back again.

Not to mention seriously missing features for a networking device that cost this much money.

What the *$(&^$)*&% was the product manager thinking?

Whoever owns the SDLC and release management process at Netgear should be replaced!

This is NOT a quality product! I feel ripped off and that I wasted my money.

Message 3 of 5
orion_jb2001
Guide

Hi,

It is the firmware.  Exactly the same problem in local access regarding getting into access control.  You need to revert to an earlier firmware version.  I went back to the original version and was advised by Netgear support, not to upgrade yet.  I have since asked further, if there were any problems with ver 27 or 28, havent heard back yet.  Stay right away from ver 29, it is a big killer dud.

If in reverting the firmware, it starts to go through the process but then errors out (looses connection - I used wired network connection  and chrome to start with, swap to internet explorer.  If it is going to work, you should get a warning fairly early stating you are going back to an earlier version, choose yes please and hopefully it will revert.  Once I got back to the version 25, it works a treat, actually better than the upgraded 29 version.  As for the missing featurs, havent got that far yet so wont comment.   Good luck 🙂

Message 4 of 5
Xcapee
Star

I'm not real keen to revert to an earlier version of the firmware given the known security vulnerability:

Security Advisory for Password Recovery and File Access on Some Routers and Modem Routers, PSV-2017-...

NETGEAR is aware of a password recovery and file access security vulnerability on some routers and modem routers.

NETGEAR strongly recommends that you download the latest firmware as soon as possible. Firmware fixes are currently available for the following affected products:

• D8500 running firmware versions 1.0.3.28 and earlier

Seriously Netgear, don't you test software before release???

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7