Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGND3300 11g modes

Garrog
Aspirant

DGND3300 11g modes

Hi, I'm confused...

I was hoping to set up the RangeMax to 2.4GHz and use it for N and G. The manuals seem deeply unclear on the mode operations - clearly this isn't my forte but as I read the instructions they do seem contradictory concerning which modes do or do not support 11g...

Could any heroic person definitively advise whether I should be able to set the router to modes 1 or 3 (Up to 300 Mbps at 2.4 GHz/ Up to 145 Mbps at 2.4 GHz) and get 11g from them, as at the moment I only seem to be able to get 11g when it's set to simultaneous 2.4GHz and 5GHz (modes 2 or 4). I don't need the 5GHz at the moment and if I set it to a dual mode it restricts the 2.4GHz to 54Mbps (which is obviously lame!).

Have I missed a setting?:confused:

Thanks!
Message 1 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: DGND3300 11g modes

Wireless mode you pick is up to. It can negotiate both. Some 802.11G may not pick up when N speed chosen because of the technology challenges with WIFI device may not abel to negotiate otherwise it should work

If you choose 2.4Ghz/300Mbps then 802.11G/N device will work
Message 2 of 10
Garrog
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, jmizoguchi.

Well I think it's sorted but more than a little confusing! For the benefit mainly of any future readers, this is my theory - perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm/correct/re-explain in a way that makes sense?

It would appear that what the router calls the "11 N SSID" channel is in fact a b/g/n capable channel. When the router is in a dual band mode, it broadcasts the "11 N SSID" on 5GHz (which can only carry 11n owing to the frequency) and the "11 G SSID" (which can carry 11b/g) on 2.4GHz; whereas, in a 2.4GHz only mode although the "11 G SSID" channel is deactivated, 11g is still available on the "11 N SSID" to an 11g device. Whether the presence of an 11g device on the channel affects whether 11n is also available I don't know.

But wow that's had my head spinning...
Message 3 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

5Ghz has 802.11A which is 54Mbps as well
Message 4 of 10
Devor
Luminary

The DGND3300 supports b/g/n 2.4 GHz and a/n 5.0 GHz standards.
Message 5 of 10
Garrog
Aspirant

Thanks, guys - just to add for reference that with the router set to 2.4GHz only - in either the 150Mbps or 300Mbps mode - the 11G is available and does not seem to prevent the 11N connection.

Also for reference on a related subject re. a wireless printer (HP Photosmart C4580): after changing the router the printer cannot be re-configured to connect to the new router (or at least seemingly not through the user interface), so a new instance of the printer has to be added as a new device (and the old instance best deleted). I suspect other HP printers may work(fail) similarly, so this is just to assist others searches on this issue.

Anyway, thanks again - G.:D
Message 6 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

just to add for reference that with the router set to 2.4GHz only - in either the 150Mbps or 300Mbps mode - the 11G is available and does not seem to prevent the 11N connection.

Correct

Also for reference on a related subject re. a wireless printer (HP Photosmart C4580): after changing the router the printer cannot be re-configured to connect to the new router

Printer with LCD screen should have option for network and able to delete current settings or you must use ethernet cable to the router and run the HP software to reconfigure it.
Message 7 of 10
Garrog
Aspirant

Thanks, I checked again and the network options via the LCD screen are limited to information only. There is no ethernet connector on my model, only USB and WiFi - because the HP controller program (and Windows) sees a USB connection as a different instance of the printer to the wireless connection, it seems that the WiFi connection cannot be readily reconfigured (i.e. unless, I imagine, one is accomplished in editing non-user level files).

But for me don't worry I have worked around it, thanks anyway.

It would appear that HP software isn't the most, erm, robust so I'm not surprised any more. I think I must have encountered all of it's quirks now so I will stick with it despite its wierdness!;)
Message 8 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Hp software can do adhoc to identify the printer so that it can be configure but beat to use USB to PC and run hp software usually fixes the issues .
Message 9 of 10
Garrog
Aspirant

Hmm, ok thanks!
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series