Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DGND3700 Wireless Works; Ethernet Doesn't

knavel
Aspirant

DGND3700 Wireless Works; Ethernet Doesn't

I've had the DGND3700 for a few months now and it's worked via the WAN port fine.

Recently my PSU burned out. Upon replacement, I started up Vista to find that the ethernet WAN no longer worked because of "!" notices from Vista re a ISATAP and 6to4 Adapter driver.

I could not fix that problem for love or money. The wifi still worked, but it would drop all the time.

So I reinstalled Vista. The wifi doesn't drop at least but I am still unable to "connect to the WAN miniport" on the PPPoE. I spent the better part of a day trying to work this out--playing around with all the router settings (what a crappy interface by the way) and with no result.

One potentially useful thing to know is that when I connect to my NEIGHBOR's wifi (ie a different unit), the ethernet WAN WILL connect and authenticate but then it immediately starts the login process repeatedly over and over.

In looking at this forum I have come to learn that this model has serious problems. That's rather frustrating as I live in Italy and had my old ISP modem burn out and had to buy this one at hyper-retail since I didn't have the luxury to wait for something sensibly priced from the USA.

Thanks for any suggestions. Happy to give an IPconfig report if that helps.
Message 1 of 6
theTechman05
Aspirant

Well if your having problems connecting to a completely separate modem I'd say its not your router and your pcs network card which anyway is a separate piece of hardware from the wireless on your pc and you need to further explain the situation. Why are you connecting your pc through the wan port? That's what the other 4 ports are for.
Message 2 of 6
knavel
Aspirant

theTechman05 wrote:
Well if your having problems connecting to a completely separate modem I'd say its not your router and your pcs network card which anyway is a separate piece of hardware from the wireless on your pc and you need to further explain the situation.

Why are you connecting your pc through the wan port? That's what the other 4 ports are for.

No problem connecting to another modem via the wireless. It's just curious that when I connect to the neighbor's system the ADSL connection makes it through the entire login process to my own ISP--but only for about a nanosecond then it starts to infinitely repeat the login process.

I don't know why I connect through the WAN port. It worked before and the LAN ones didn't as far as I recall (when I got the router/modem). Nor do the LAN ones work now.
Message 3 of 6
theTechman05
Aspirant

knavel wrote:
No problem connecting to another modem via the wireless. It's just curious that when I connect to the neighbor's system the ADSL connection makes it through the entire login process to my own ISP--but only for about a nanosecond then it starts to infinitely repeat the login process.

How are you using this device? Are you using just the router and using bridging I habe seen on the forum? I had the impression you were connecting wirelesly from your home and not changing thier settings to connect at thier home.

If you think its your router why did you reinstall vista before posting here. I would have told you to check a different PC before you did that.

How bout doing that and then get back and make sure your nieghbors house is set back up so you don't get dirty looks from them.

As a also question , what firmware are you on?

Thanks
Message 4 of 6
knavel
Aspirant

theTechman05 wrote:
How are you using this device?

Working Use 1 - Wireless card in PC, secured password, internet.

Non Working preferred Use 2 - RJ45 port - WAN port on router/modem (or LAN Port--same result) -> no connection via PPPoE

theTechman05 wrote:
Are you using just the router and using bridging I habe seen on the forum?

Not sure what that means, but I've just plugged the router / modem in and I am using the default settings save for naming the wireless system and setting up a wireless password.

theTechman05 wrote:
I had the impression you were connecting wirelesly from your home and not changing thier settings to connect at thier home.

I only mentioned the connection to the neighbors because when I do THAT, then the PPPoE (WAN port) DOES connect to the ISP but as soon as it Authenticates, it immediately starts and does the login process over an over again.

IF, I am NOT connected to the neighbor's wireless, it does NOT matter if I'm connected or disconnected to the wireless part of my own DGND3700--the PPPoE will NOT connect to my ISP. Again, this only happens when I'm connected to the neighbor's wireless and then attempt to connect to my own ISP via PPPoE.

theTechman05 wrote:
If you think its your router why did you reinstall vista before posting here. I would have told you to check a different PC before you did that.

Because before my PSU fried itself, my PC worked fine with the PPPoE connection. When I put in a new PSU, it no longer worked fine and I got these corrupted network adapter drivers as mentioned in my first post. I have no idea why a burned out PSU should have anything to do with all this--it shouldn't. But there you go.

theTechman05 wrote:
How bout doing that and then get back and make sure your nieghbors house is set back up so you don't get dirty looks from them.

I haven't gone into my neighbor's router settings. Simply connected to it as per any normal wireless & password entry. Each of us has the other's password for when our own ISPs are down, whatever. No probs there.

theTechman05 wrote:
As a also question , what firmware are you on?

V.1.0.0.17__1.0.17
Message 5 of 6
theTechman05
Aspirant

First I wouldn't expect you to be able to connect your pc to the wan port as that's your connection to the outside world.

Also their ppoe shouldn't have anything to do with your wireless connection to their network. Two different protocols . You can most of the time connect wirelessly but that doesn't mean you have internet or vise versa.

Are you getting any lights on the back of your router when you plug in regardless if you have your phone plug connected and setup properly with username and password(not including wan since its probably set to default on your phone plug)?

I haven't gone into my neighbor's router settings. Simply connected to it as per any normal wireless & password entry. Each of us has the other's password for when our own ISPs are down, whatever. No probs there.

O.k just don't want to burn bridges , that would not be fun.

thetechman05 wrote:
Do you have another pc to test wired connection to your router , be it old or new?

My end result still asks that.

I can't rule out the pc till you've check if your getting any indication of link lights but your power supply could have cause more damage than you expected.

If you still have your case open let them know the results as of so far and see if they'll rma the router if these problems don't sort out.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7