Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DM200 modem stopping netflix?

riccok
Aspirant

DM200 modem stopping netflix?

Hi

Have set up modem DM200 modem only with X6 R8000.

All works well except no netflix or BBC iplayer on pansonic smart TV

Netflix and Panasonic say that my modem is causing the problem ( they would wouldnt they?)

Question: is there something on the DM200 that is slowing down the connection. I remember a VPN passthrough setting on setup but cant remember if left this on or off. Cant find any reference in the DM200 manual.

Am I being thick or what?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
riccok
Aspirant

Re: DM200 modem stopping netflix?

yes connected ethernet cable

also have just finished changing setting VLAN passthrough on modem 

now see that box must be unchecked unless specific instruction from ISP which I havent

so thats not the problem

Message 2 of 8
riccok
Aspirant

follow up 

have isolated problem to the modem. There is some setting in the modem blocking connection. It works perfectly on an old bt modem that I had lieing around. 

So DM 200 what are you playing at?

Message 3 of 8

What is Netflix on? TV, PC, Tablet, Dongle?

Message 4 of 8
riccok
Aspirant

Hi

sorry didnt make it clear.

netflix and BBC I on panasonic smart TV doesnt work

we can get netflix on our mobiles and Ipad though, through same modem/router combination

Message 5 of 8

That some things get Netflix while others don't suggests that it is down to the configuration of the smart TV and its interaction with the router.

If the router was blocking access, the other devices would not get through.

It is also puzzling that you finger the modem. Access to the Internet and other things is controlled by the router. I assume that DM200 is in modem-only (bridge) mode.

You say that all works well with older hardware, but are you sure that it is not down to the apps on the smart TV? I see the same thing with Netflix on my smart Samsung BluRay device. I use a LAN connection with Powerline Ethernet.

In the past, I lost access to the iPlayer. To recover that I had to reset and reconfigure the smart device. I suspect that doing that would also bring back access to Netflix. But I'm not interested in that so haven't bothered to try it.

Message 6 of 8
riccok
Aspirant

Hi

Yes agreed it is strange that I accuse the modem because all it does is provide the connection after all.

I will try the DM200 again with reinstalled TV apps. If it works ok that will mean the apps were at fault as you say.

Will do it is this weekend and report back!

Message 7 of 8

What got me was that the TV worked fine with one modem, but not the other.

I should add that my Netflix failure is with a BT modem. I keep my Netgear stuff for the office.

You could look at the router's logs to see if it is recording any strange behaviour.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7