Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware D7800_V1.0.1.28

twisted89
Aspirant

Firmware D7800_V1.0.1.28

Just a heads up there was a new firmware release today - http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D7800/D7800_V1.0.1.28.zip

Release notes only say 'security fixes' but according to Netgear it should have fixed other issues such as BT connectivity and with any luck some other drop out problems. 

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
80njc80
Apprentice

Re: Firmware D7800_V1.0.1.28

Is it still recommened that a factory reset is undrtaken after a firmware update???  I know the settings backwards but with two D7800's linked together it becomes quite the process...

Message 2 of 7
twisted89
Aspirant

Already done that, there is a fundamental issue with the firmware that they even admitted but was meant to be fixed in this update. No amount of resetting will change anything.
Message 3 of 7
80njc80
Apprentice

OK.  I will upgrade firmware and just soft reboot both devices and see how we go...  There are mixed trains of thought regarding what is really required i.e. is it necessary or just precautionary on Netgear’s behalf.

Message 4 of 7

@80njc80 wrote:

There are mixed trains of thought regarding what is really required i.e. is it necessary or just precautionary on Netgear’s behalf.

The reset thing is not "just precautionary on Netgear’s behalf", although there is something of that in there, a bit like the old IT help desk advice, "turn if off and on".

Advising a reset is also based on reports here. Plenty of people have fixed issues with a factory reset. Sadly, there are also plenty who get nowhere with this tactic.

Message 5 of 7
80njc80
Apprentice

I have no issue with following the necessary processes as advised by the firmware engineer(s).  Interestingly, the release note only make mention of “…[powercycling] the router to complete the upgrade".

There is something to be said about both methodologies... I am also lazy in certain instances and do value my time spent in other areas.

Message 6 of 7

The Netgear people certainly seem to be unclear about the best way to proceed. The whole approach to Release Notes does not help. They rarely offer much details about the changes. And as you say they don't mention a factory reset.

What you call "powercycling" is not something that you need to do, it happens automatically. But it is not as thorough as a factory reset.

A reset it often not needed. But it is strongly recommended if you have problems after installing new firmware.

And this is where Netgear's confused approach comes into play. The release notes may not mention it, but you will read many messages here from the official support team recommending a reset.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7