Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home network stalls often with Netgear router and gigabit switch

mknoblock
Aspirant

Home network stalls often with Netgear router and gigabit switch

Model DGND3700v2 router; GS116 gigabit switch

I have had problems with Internet connectivity since I set this network up three years ago, and finally settled on this hardware, with a fairly stable network. But occasionally (several times per week) what happens is that ALL connectivity between hosts gets lost; no internet (complaints from wife and kids), and I can't ping from my workstation through the GS116 to the main router. Actually no host can ping any other host until I power cycle the GS116. As soon as I do that all hosts immediately ping and browser pages load. 

I had the same problem with an 8-port TrendNet switch (power cycle and the network is restored) so I replaced it with the GS116 as I needed more ports anyway. 

I'm returning the GS116, since a power cycle immediately fixes the problem but in the back of my mind I am still suspicious of the main router. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for rock-solid high speed DSL modem/router/switch hardware? So far I've had 3 routers and 2 gigabit switches, and I have very little hair left to tear out.  If possible I would like a DSL router supported by DD-WRT.

thanks for any suggestions

Message 1 of 4
netwrks
Master

Re: Home network stalls often with Netgear router and gigabit switch

What you are describing could be a MTU issue. Have you verified with your ISP what the router MTU size should be? 

Message 2 of 4
mknoblock
Aspirant

I will get with them and find out; thanks.  Willing to chase down any lead I can...

Message 3 of 4
clithes
Prodigy

This might be useful:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/5793

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation