Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Home setup with DSL router modem and extender

jeepcacher
Follower

Home setup with DSL router modem and extender

The following is my current setup: I have an DSL Actiontec Modem Router, provided by my phone company and a Netgear MN2500 dual band wifi extender. The extender is connected by wifi, with the following connected to the extender: over wifi, I have 2 phones and a computer (sometimes laptop and tablet), then directly wired to extender are an Xbox and DVD player.  I have 2 computers sitting near the modem/router that are plugged directly into the modem/router. Sometimes a tablet or phone will also connect via wifi to the modem/router. I also have an Xbox sitting next to the extender, which is directly plugged into the modem/router using a 50ft ethernet cable. That 50ft cable could be used to connect a switch or other device to the modem, then I could plug both Xbox consoles into switch. My internet company suggested plugging the extender into the modem/router, but that seriously killed my wifi, so I switched it back. That same guy said that I need to have an extender that is the same brand as the modem/router. I live in the middle of nowhere, so my speed is only around 3 Mbps, which I know is not desirable for what I would like to do, but I would like to make the best of it. My current setup has been working for a few years, but it seems like my extender is starting to fail. In researching my options, I am wondering if I should be trying something different, like a Netgear modem/router, extender, and switch or something else. Again, I know I am asking a lot of my 3 Mbps, but it has been working for a few years. I am just looking to see if there would actually be a better setup. The one reason that I was considering a switch, which I will be honest, I don’t know much about, is I would like both Xbox consoles to be wired, without any wifi in between. Our phone lines are copper and unstable, so wifi adds more problems between the router and Xbox. Based on some research, it looks like a decent option may be to keep my current modem/router, use 50ft ethernet cable to connected to a switch (maybe a Netgear GS305E), then plug a new extender and the Xbox consoles into that switch. Any advice is appreciated.

Model: WN2500RP|Universal Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2

Re: Home setup with DSL router modem and extender

@jeepcacher wrote:

The following is my current setup: I have an DSL Actiontec Modem Router, provided by my phone company and a Netgear MN2500 dual band wifi extender.

I see nothing in there from Netgear, certainly not a Netgear DSL modem/router. I can't find any MN2500 model number in Netgear's support system.

The WN2500RP in your footer is an old (2012) WiFi Range Extender. Is that what you meant by MN2500  This isn't the right place to ask for help with that.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

As to the rest of your message. It is hard to read as a solid chunk of text. (I have a limited attention span.) If the bottom line is that you have a 3 Mbps Internet service, I doubt if you can do much. But a clearer description of what you are asking might help.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7