Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Is the dual core in the DGND3700 actually using its dual core?

Ferny1
Aspirant

Is the dual core in the DGND3700 actually using its dual core?

Interestingly, having telneted into the DGND3700 and then having a quick dig around, I was expecting to see in /proc/cpuinfo a reference to a second core, but, all I found was:

/proc # cat cpuinfo
system type : 96368MVWG
processor : 0
cpu model : BMIPS 4350 V3.1
BogoMIPS : 398.95
wait instruction : yes
microsecond timers : yes
tlb_entries : 32
extra interrupt vector : no
hardware watchpoint : no
ASEs implemented :
VCED exceptions : not available
VCEI exceptions : not available

unaligned exceptions : 4234

This was on 1.0.0.17 firmware, which is based on:
Linux version 2.6.21.5 (finerain@sunshine) (gcc version 4.2.3) #1 Fri Oct 21 08:04:47 CST 2011

Had a quick look through dmesg and all the usual places and still found no reference to a second cpu. Here I was assuming the kernel was setup as SMP. Maybe it is configured in a different way maybe SMT, but, not convinced.

Has anybody else discovered this? As the datasheet mentions dual core cpu I would atleast expect that the linux OS would be aleast configured for it!

I have had a quick dig around and no one else seems to mention this, even pulled the sources and had a quick dig through them. It looks like the MIPS cpu in the DGND3700 does not have SMP support in the netgear supplied sources, but, for later kernels from linux-mips.org do. Maybe we are due updated firmwre enabling this? (Along with other features such as IPv6, email with authenication etc etc;))

Anyway, I may be wrong a about this, as I have only just bought this adsl router and have only just started to have a detailed look at it.

Please could someone confirm my findings or convince me that I am wrong.

Best Regards

Ferny
Message 1 of 2
Ferny1
Aspirant

Re: Is the dual core in the DGND3700 actually using its dual core?

I've since spent quite sometime with this router, recompiling source etc, inspecting source and latest MIPS source, trying to enable SMP and MT in the kernel and as far as can tell the linux OS in the unit does not support multiple CPU's (even though I believe and informed by the datasheet it is dual core) I may be wrong and someone please correct if this is the case.

Anyway, after having spoken to netgear support I feel there will be no major update to this unit and have spotted a dgnd3800 in the works along with the drop in performance of WiFi connection speeds compared to my semi-trusty DG834N, plus also the lack of IPv6 support and the intermittent dropping of the WiFi signal over time have decided to return the unit.

It's a shame really as over the years I have always liked and recommended netgear products. Someone please prove me wrong as I'll wait to Thursday before ordering a Vigor 2850n and returning the DGND3700.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7