Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear D6400-100UKS WiFi DSL Modem Router - Trouble with Cosy Geo Home Central Heating Smart Hub

bigboldhead
Aspirant

Netgear D6400-100UKS WiFi DSL Modem Router - Trouble with Cosy Geo Home Central Heating Smart Hub

Hi,

I have been using my Netgear D6400 Modem Router for nearly a year now, with barely any major problems. I've been able to connect laptops, tablets, phones, smart TV wirelessly fine. 

I've also conected a small seagate personal cloud nas drive to one of the ethernet ports, which has also worked relatively fault free. 

In the last month or so I've installed a Geo Cosy Smart heating system with thermostat. There are 3 parts to this, a central hub, a switch and a wireless thermostat. The central hub connects into the ethernet port in the Netgear router, the switch and wireless thermostat then talk to the central hub. As the central hub is connected to the Netgear router you can control your heating system from an app on your phone, over the internet and home network. 

Everything seems to work fine appart from the Netgear router and Cosy central hub. They seem to stop talking to each  other and the hub comes up with the error that it cannot connect to the internet and becomes off line. 

They can work fine together for varying amounts of time before the error is displayed. Sometimes it'll work for just 1 minute, or 5 minutes, but then sometimes it can work for 2 whole days before an error is displayed about being unable to connect to the internet. All other devices connected to the router can still connect to the internet with no problem.

If I switch everthing off, wait 5 minutes and restart everything it clears the error and the Netgear router and cosy hub will work together again for an unpredictable amount of time before the  error comes back. 

I have contacted Geo Cosy's technical support who are absolutely rubbish, who suggest to just turn everything off and on again to fix it, but the error just comes back. 

They are also blaming the Netgear router saying I need to contact Netgears technicial support to ask them to unblock ports on the Netgear router for the cosy hub to work and connect to the internet?? This is confusing me as sometimes it can connect to the interenet, but then seems to stop...? 

Can anyone help with either unblocking ports in the Netgear router or offer any advise on this issue?? 

Last week I updated the firmware on the Netgear router to the latest version, the error still persists. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this, all advise welcome!

Phil 

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 12

Re: Netgear D6400-100UKS WiFi DSL Modem Router - Trouble with Cosy Geo Home Central Heating Smart Hu

bigboldhead wrote: 

They are also blaming the Netgear router saying I need to contact Netgears technicial support to ask them to unblock ports on the Netgear router for the cosy hub to work and connect to the internet??

If they have strange demands on your router's ports, then the same issue is likely to affect all routers, whoever makes them.

They should also be able to tell you in detail what you need to do to gain access.

Passing the buck to someone else is a sure sign that you are dealing with a bunch of cowboys, or people who don't really understand what is going on.

Message 2 of 12
bigboldhead
Aspirant

Re: Netgear D6400-100UKS WiFi DSL Modem Router - Trouble with Cosy Geo Home Central Heating Smart Hu

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your comments. I'm no expert at all, but I do agree with you, Netgear is a popular brand of router and surprised they haven't experienced this issue with others. Which makes me wonder whether the Cosy central hub is somehow faulty. Like I've said previously eveything else is working with my Netgear router fine.

Cosy technical support have got back to me again this morning and stated I need to open ports below:-

"The port that need to be open are 21120 through 21140"

To be honest I don't know how to do this to the netgear hub?? If anyone knows how to do this or can forward on a link with the steps explained I'd really appreciate it??

Thanks,

Phil  

Message 3 of 12

We are getting there. They have now given you some useful information.

"The port that need to be open are 21120 through 21140"

I haven't messed around with "ports" myself, so maybe someone more experienced will step in.

p 266 of the manual may be relevant.

The manual is here:

D6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

There are plenty of messages around here about "open ports".

Once again, I think it is down to Cosy to be more helpful. Its website is not wildly informative on this sort of thing. The D6400 is a bog standard modem/router. (I have one.) It should provide a lay language expectation of what to do.

In your shoes I would be sorely tempted to take to Twitter to pester @geomonitor into being helpful.That would certainly interrupt the company's self-congratulatory puffery.

There is nothing like visible publicity to wake up people like this. I might even throw this one at the chairman of their board, someone I have known for more years than either of us would care to admit.   

Message 4 of 12
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Although it may seem drastic it may well be worth performing a factory reset on your router after first upgrading to the latest version of firmware.

This will at least rule out some sort of odd router issue. My D6400 performed very intermittent re-boots but after performing a factory reset it has been rock solid.

Message 5 of 12

Sound advice.

A reset is not always necessary after flashing your firmware, but if you do have a problem, any problem, then you lose nothing and can gain a lot.

In the case of the D6400, if you are in the UK and on BT, the process can be pretty painless. The modem works nicely and will usually automatically connect itself and stay connected.

Message 6 of 12
bigboldhead
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

The page of the user manual certainly looks useful. I'll try opening the ports using this method tonight when I'm back home. I'll let you know how I get on with that. 

I'm tempted to go on either their twitter page or facebook page and see if to see if it get's a reaction to give the technical team a kick up the arse... But will try the port opening route first as they've suggested that's the fault. 

If you do decide to contact the chairmen who you know, please let me know how it goes, I'd appreciate it. 

Thank you.

Phil 

Message 7 of 12
bigboldhead
Aspirant

Hi Michael,

Thanks again for your help so far.

I've left the router and cosy hub alone for the last 6 six or so as it's all been working as it should! This is an actual record amount of time it's worked for! 

But just when I thought everything was going well, it decided to throw up it's usual error.

I've given the opening ports ago as you've suggested from the user manual. Like yourself I have absolutely no experience of doing this or what it really means, so I've given it ago and will let you know how I get on with this.

If this doesn't really solve it, I'll be ringing the Cosy team up to either come and solve it or remove it from my house I think.

Regards,

Phil 

Netgear Screenshot.jpg

Message 8 of 12
bigboldhead
Aspirant

Hi All,

I've tried resetting the router back to factory setting and opening the port numbers given to be from Cosy technical support.

I still get the error, so the problem is still not resolved.

If anyone has any further advise, please feel free to post and help.

Thank you,

Phil 

Message 9 of 12
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sounds like it may be worth contacting Netgear support to see if they have any suggestions.

Is there an option in your Geo Home system to change the LAN port link speed and duplex? If so then try setting it to a fixed setting rather than auto as this can sometimes cause issues.

Message 10 of 12
bigboldhead
Aspirant

I'm not sure how to access settings for the Cosy hub? I've not seen any online anywhere either? 

Message 11 of 12
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

You could always try inserting a cheap 10/100 hub between the Geo and your Netgear to see if this helps.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7