Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear D7000 Modem Router Crashing

razenby
Aspirant

Netgear D7000 Modem Router Crashing

Purchased this 3 days ago to replace a BT Modem Router.  It is faster and works well BUT it keep crashing on average about every 15 hours. All active lights go solid on and the WIFI disappears.  I know it is the router as my computer is connected directly to the router by cable and the browser times out seekingthe the router admin at 12.168.0.1.  Cycle the D7000 power and it all comes on line. All connections have been checked. The router updated it's firmware when I installed it. It is in deafult configuration Please help. I suspect that it is faulty. The BT Home Hub 5 never, ever locked up. Not happy so far.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
antinode
Guru

Re: Netgear D7000 Modem Router Crashing

> Netgear D7000 [...]

D7000[v1] or D7000v2?  Firmware version?

> [...] All active lights go solid on [...]

What does "All active lights" mean to you?

> [...] I suspect that it is faulty. [...]

It could be.  Contact Netgear?

Message 2 of 7
razenby
Aspirant

Firmware= Latest as stated in post (only been installed 3 days).  Is there a known problem with the latest firmware?

Active lights means the lights that are normally when in operation.  Wifii / port lights / Interned ADSL - frozen on.

This is the second unit as the last one bricked after 2 weeks.  Probably a bad design or poor manufacturing.I will returnt the second one for a refund and buy an alterbative brand.

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
antinode
Guru

> Firmware= Latest as stated in post (only been installed 3 days). [...]

As always, an actual version number would be more useful than your
opinion of what's "Latest" today.

>    D7000[v1] or D7000v2?  Firmware version?

All still a mystery.

> [...] I will returnt the second one for a refund and buy an
> alterbative brand.

Could be a good idea, especially if you can't provide any basic
information here.

Message 4 of 7
razenby
Aspirant

No Worries. Is there are latest latest version or a later than the latest version?  Put it another way has the current verion from the Netgear website as of 2 days ago got a known bug where the router freezes?    Answer that one. 

Thanks

Message 5 of 7
sitomkins
Aspirant

@razenby Hi,

the firmware file you downloaded would have had a version number as the name of the zip file.  I read alot on here that a re-set of the router after a firmware update is somthing that fixes lots of things,  downside is youll have to re-configure any changes made to it after that.  

for what its worth im on V1.0.1.66_1.0.1 which i thought was the latest but it seems not,  and dont have any issues like you describe.    You can also downgrade the firmware.  My only issue is the guest network fun described here 

Si

Message 6 of 7

@sitomkins wrote:

@razenby Hi,

the firmware file you downloaded would have had a version number as the name of the zip file.  I read alot on here that a re-set of the router after a firmware update is somthing that fixes lots of things,  downside is youll have to re-configure any changes made to it after that.  

You should not need to reset the modem/router when you upgrade the firmware. But it is certainly a first move if you have post-flash issues.

I have two internet lines, one with a BT Homehub, and one that has been on various Netgear modems (D6400 and DM200). I have one Homehub that still sits in its shrinkwrap.

The Homehub is worth what you pay for it. (£6.95 for delivery in may case.) It has none of the controllability of a grown-up router. But one consequence of that is that it is easier to set up.

You cannot rely on the Netgear device to report the latest firmware. It gets that information from a different server. The support site may have something more recent that has yet to reach that server. Firmware updates go through various testing steps before it hits the update servers. Netgear sometimes put new firmware on the support pages before it has been through all of those steps. Of course, this can mean that it contains issues that still need ironing out.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7