Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Modem Router DGND3700 and Windows 10 Compatibility

wirebridgefarm
Aspirant

Netgear Modem Router DGND3700 and Windows 10 Compatibility

Very frustrating situation: Purchased a Netgear DGND3700 Modem Router a couple of years ago and have had no problem with internet access for two laptop computers one with Vista OS and one with Windows 8. However, once we upgraded the Windows 8 computer to Windows 10 we immediately started having connectivity problems not only with the Windows 10 computer but also with the Vista if the "10" had WiFi turned on. Once we turned Wifi off on the "10" the Vista started working again. Spent many, many hours researching solutions on the internet and troubleshooting/running diagnostics on the "10" all to no avail. When checking status it showed connected with good signal strength but when trying to use Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer it would not load the page regardless of how many times it was refreshed, router unplugged plugged back in, wifi turned off and on, diagnostics ran, etc. Then with no apparent explanation a few days later it just started working on its own and has worked great for about two months along with the Vista computer. A couple of days ago started having issues with connectivity again. Once again, if wifi on the "10" is turned on Vista won't work either. Turn wifi off on the 10 and the Vista works fine. Also just the same as last time: "10" says connected with good signal but won't load page regardless of number of times refreshed, restarted, unplugged router etc. It will sometimes load mail for a just few minutes but no other websites, then a few minutes later won't even load mail. And then, with no explanation whatsoever this morning it started working fine again along with the Vista. Thankful to have it working great now but this is our business computer and we need to be able to depend on it working all the time and not with random connectivity "black-outs" which last for two or three days every couple of months. Any ideas? Very frustrating that we can't figure out why connectivity stops working with no apparent explanation then starts back with no apparent explanation. Thanks in advance for any advice / ideas!!!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Re: Netgear Modem Router DGND3700 and Windows 10 Compatibility

@wirebridgefarm wrote:

Thank-you so much for your reply.

I have tried on several different occasions, at the Device Manager, clicking on the "Update Driver" Tab for the "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter". Each time it tells me that the "Best Driver Software is Already Installed" and "Up to Date."

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Do a "right click" look at the driver and see who provided it. If it is Microsoft, then be suspicious.

This message reminds me of another interesting wrinkle.

Feedback: Windows 10 build 9860 Broadcom 802.11n Wireless Driver - - Microsoft Community

It refers to chipset drivers. This is something that Windows often gets wrong, and Windows update just cannot handle.

Chipset drivers are those that come from the maker of the motherboard. It is particularly important for USB drivers, but also applies to any of the chips that are integrated in the motherboard, sounds for example.

I often find myself visiting the sites of the chip makers for the latest drivers, especially for board that predate the current operating system. So I wander off to Realtek for sound drivers.

Looking around Googleworld for "Broadcom 802.11n" it seems that you are not the first person with this problem.

Not, I fear, something that Netgear can fix for you.

Some sites make promises that may or may not stand up to scrutiny:

Broadcom Network Adapter Wireless Driver 7.35.338.0 for Windows 10 Windows 10 driver download - Wind...

Broadcom Ltd

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies

@wirebridgefarm wrote:

However, once we upgraded the Windows 8 computer to Windows 10 we immediately started having connectivity problems not only with the Windows 10 computer but also with the Vista if the "10" had WiFi turned on.

Your Netgear equipment doesn't give a monkey's about which generation of Windows you use. That is down to the drivers and other things that are built into Windows.

You don't need drivers for your Netgear modem router – just look in Windows device manager – but you do need them for the wifi and network bits of your Windows devices. So that is the first place I'd look for solutions.

You hint at this yourself when you write about turning wifi on and off and the fact that this started happening when you upgraded to Windows 10.

I'm not saying that you are in the wrong place, but that you might do well to continue your search around troubleshooting sites for Windows.

Windows 10 is known for landing on your desktop with deficient drivers for network hardware. I'd look into that to see if there are better, non generic, drivers for your hardware.

Message 2 of 8
wirebridgefarm
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, a Windows 10 Troubleshooting Community was going to be my next forum to post this request. I just thought I'd start here because I was told yesterday that Windows 10 "Is a Router Hog". They said that sometimes the "N" series modem-routers are no longer sufficient, and that we might need to switch to an "AC" series. If someone else had experienced a similar situation and resolved the problem by switching I could justify investing in a new router. However, if the switch would not resolve the issue I wouldn't be able to justify replacing a two or three year old modem-router.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Message 3 of 8
VE6CGX
Master

Do you have W10 compatible driver on that computer?  Find it and install it. Or see if W10 will take cae of it.

From device manager, click the WiFi card, click driver update ....

Message 4 of 8
wirebridgefarm
Aspirant

I have tried on several different occasions, at the Device Manager, clicking on the "Update Driver" Tab for the "Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter". Each time it tells me that the "Best Driver Software is Already Installed" and "Up to Date."

After reading your reply I just went to the device manager to look for anything else WiFi related. Under "Software Devices" I found an entry simply labeled "WiFi" so I clicked on the Update Driver tab there and it is also telling me I have the Best and Up to Date Driver Already Installed then it says "Generic Software Devive."  

Are either of these what you are referring to as the "WiFi Card" or would it be located somewhere else?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to my question.

Message 5 of 8

@wirebridgefarm wrote:

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Do a "right click" look at the driver and see who provided it. If it is Microsoft, then be suspicious.

This message reminds me of another interesting wrinkle.

Feedback: Windows 10 build 9860 Broadcom 802.11n Wireless Driver - - Microsoft Community

It refers to chipset drivers. This is something that Windows often gets wrong, and Windows update just cannot handle.

Chipset drivers are those that come from the maker of the motherboard. It is particularly important for USB drivers, but also applies to any of the chips that are integrated in the motherboard, sounds for example.

I often find myself visiting the sites of the chip makers for the latest drivers, especially for board that predate the current operating system. So I wander off to Realtek for sound drivers.

Looking around Googleworld for "Broadcom 802.11n" it seems that you are not the first person with this problem.

Not, I fear, something that Netgear can fix for you.

Some sites make promises that may or may not stand up to scrutiny:

Broadcom Network Adapter Wireless Driver 7.35.338.0 for Windows 10 Windows 10 driver download - Wind...

Broadcom Ltd

Message 6 of 8
wirebridgefarm
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply! Not much time for troubleshooting this morning (and limited internet - having to use the Vista computer to reply) but I did read the comments at the first link you gave and yes, there are many similarities to what we have been experiencing. Anxious to try downloading a different driver when I get home this evening. I went to Device Manager as you suggested and when I clicked on Driver Details for the 802.11n Network Adapter there are actually two drivers, one with Broadcom as provider and one with Microsoft as provider. I took a screenshot but couldn't stay connected on that computer long enough to reply and include the screenshots. Again, Thanks for the advice, for the links, and for the info about the chip sets. Will research all of these in depth when I get back home.
Message 7 of 8
wirebridgefarm
Aspirant

Thank-you again for the information and the links you provided. The first link was particularly helpful in discovering that there seems to be a rather common compatibilty problem between Windows 10 and 802.11n seemingly particularly with Acer computers (which ours is). I followed the advice of one of the posters at the forum and "updated" our 802.11n driver to an "older" version. Only time will tell but I am hopeful based on what I read concerning the number of other Windows 10 users who, in addition to the poster who discovered the fix, said this resolved their compatibility issues.

Out of curiousity I did a little more research concerning compatibility of Windows 10 and 802.11n and landed at a website that stated:

"Windows 10 operating system has long been reported by its users to have compatibility issues with Broadcom 802.11n network adapters, but there seems to be no exact solution to tackle this problem from Microsoft. If this problem has caused you tremendous troubles, it is suggested that you report this error to Microsoft and to your laptop manufacturer to see if they can be of help, but the response speed is not guaranteed."

Hopefully the "update" to the "older driver" is the solution we have spent more time than I really want to acknowledge looking for. If this does work I will try to post the link to the solution to as many related forums as I can to try to spare other "Broadcom 802.11n / Windows 10 Upgraders" from the frustration we have encountered.

Thanks Again for your help!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7