Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New D6200 Dropping internet (Dos)

kymadn
Aspirant

New D6200 Dropping internet (Dos)

Hey Guys, I have just purchased a new D6200 this week upgrading from a DGND3700v2. Ever since setting up the D6200 router i have had frequent internet drop outs at least every 5 hours. I have to reboot the router everytime to restore the internet. My data speeds are fine at 50/25mbps but i always have internet drop outs. I have searched the forums and found many people have the same drop out issue and are reporting the same DOS attacks i have in my logs. I couldnt actually find anyone who found an answer to the problem?

I updated my firmware to the most recent version and it made no change. I was just about to return the router to the store because i was thinking its faulty.

I ended up reverting back to my DGND3700. Looking at the logs it does not report the Dos attack like the D6200?? While i am running the DGND3700 i dont get internet drop out at all.

I am about to try disabling the "dos scan and prevention" setting on the D6200 but i think it is a bit rediculous that you should need to do this on a new router to have a stable internet connection. 

Is this a know problem that netgear has not been able to fix in a firmware update? Why are so many people having this problem and not finding a solution? 

Model: R6200|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
kymadn
Aspirant

Turning off dos scan attack prevention in wan settings seems to have fixed the problem. It seems rediculous that i have to turn it off to stop the internet connection disconnecting

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies

@kymadn wrote:

I updated my firmware to the most recent version and it made no change. I was just about to return the router to the store because i was thinking its faulty.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

.....reporting the same DOS attacks i have in my logs.

Fake news. Those DOS attacks are a "feature" of Netgear's logging process which creates many of those false positives. If you check the IP addresses you will find that they are often from people like Google and Amazon.

Message 2 of 5
kymadn
Aspirant

Turning off dos scan attack prevention in wan settings seems to have fixed the problem. It seems rediculous that i have to turn it off to stop the internet connection disconnecting
Message 3 of 5
kymadn
Aspirant

Also i was having this problem before and after doing a firmware update
Message 4 of 5
kymadn
Aspirant

So can anyone from Netgear support explain why I would have to disable DOS attack prevention in a brand new router to have it function correctly. For most people who are not technical they would not know how to do this. 

I am very dissapointed in Netgear and this product support. My old DGND3700 did not need dos attack prevention disabled to function correctly. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7