Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New D7000 very poor connection speeds

rbbane66
Guide

New D7000 very poor connection speeds

D7000 Nighthawk - Firmware V1.0.0.44_1.0.1   (XPSP3)

Just bought my New D7000 today.  Let auto set up some of the settings, but the connection speeds were abysmal - download 2.0 - Upload 0.1

(My old Netgear DGN2200 was giving me about 11.0 Mbs download and 1.0 Mbs upload).

Then copied settings from my old DGN2200 router and connection speeds increased to about 6.5 download and 0.2 upload.

Why are the new connection speeds so poor.

Also, with my old router I always had an internet Connection icon in the right hand area of the task bar, along with the LAN connection icon.

Now with the new D7000 the Internet Connection icon has disappeared.  And yes, I have looked in the Control Panel network box, and it isn't there either.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

> D7000 Nighthawk - Firmware V1.0.0.44_1.0.1

That's a D7000v2 (not a plain/v1)?

> Why are the new connection speeds so poor.

I don't know.

> Also, with my old router I always had an internet Connection icon in
> the right hand area of the task bar, along with the LAN connection icon.

You're talking about the Windows (some version or other) desktop?  If
so, then that's a Windows question, not a router question.  I'd guess
that Windows has noticed that the new router is different from the old
router, and that has caused it to consider it a different "Network",
with its own set of (different) properties, including Private/Public,
and so on, and that may include an independent choice of whether to show
the connection icon in the taskbar.

Luckily, I know too little about Windows to know what controls that
icon.  Are you seeing all the icons in the taskbar, or are some of them
hidden?

Message 2 of 4
rbbane66
Guide

Hi Antinode.  Thanks for your reply.  I am seeing all the other icons on the taskbar, that I want to see.  I know that I can have some of them not shown if I want.  But the Internet Connection icon is not there at all.  (As soon as I re-connect the old DGN2200 router the internet icon reappears).

I've tried quite a few times to go through all the options in the D7000 router.  Don't think I've missed anything.  It has quite a few more options than my old Netgear DGN2200.

I've tried the "auto setup" mode for the D7000, and also manually configuring it.  At the moment doesn't seem to matter which way I try.

Leaving it connected all last night the Ping increased dramatically this morning from several huindreds to about 45.  (My DGN2200 one is delivering a ping of 30 today, and download speed of about 9.2Mbs).

With the D7000, even with the much better Ping speed today. the download speed was still a meagre 1.5Mbs with the upload barely registering at all.  Something like 0.15Mbs.

I shall try re-configuring it at a suitable time.  But in the mean time Ive put my old DGN2200 back on as I needed to download some game material, which didn't take too long.  Would have taken hours and hours given the extremely low reading on the D7000.

I'm at a bit of a loss.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 3 of 4

@rbbane66 wrote:
Also, with my old router I always had an internet Connection icon in the right hand area of the task bar, along with the LAN connection icon.

Changing the network environment in Windows can lead to unexpected changes like that. This could also explain your slowness.

As a first  move, if you haven't already, reboot the PC. This forces it to reestablish a link to the local network, and to forget old network addresses it may have used.

You could also run the Network Troubleshooter. It can find some of the simpler things that mess up the local network.

You say that you copied over the settings from the old modem/router. You might have done better to set up the D7000 from scratch, allowing it to find the ISP and configure itself accordingly. This is one area where Netgear has made some progress in recent years.

By the way, I hope you didn't buy the new modem in the expectation that it will deliver faster Internet. Sadly, that is unlikely. Speed is down to your Internet service provider. On the other hand, it shouldn't be slower!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7