Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk Compatability

robgamesboy
Aspirant

Nighthawk Compatability

Hi - I actually have the D7000 model no Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Modem router but it's not an option in the drop down menu here. 

Simple question  - is this going to be compatible with a cable broadband signal into my new house? I currently have an ADSL2 signal which works fine.

Thanks.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
tlmassey
Apprentice

You'll need a modem between the cable signal (the round cable coming from the wall) and the router.  At the most basic level, the modem takes in a signal from the round cable and translates it into an ethernet signal on the rectangular cables that plug into your modem, computers, etc.  Routers only understand ethernet signals and won't talk directly to the ISP's cable signal.

Most cable ISPs provide a list of recommended modems or a specification that your modem needs to meet (i.e. DOCSIS 3.0).  If you're still not sure which modem to buy, many cable ISPs will lease you a modem for a few dollars per month.

Once you have the right modem, your router will work.  You'll just connect an ethernet (rectangular) cable from the output of the modem to the input (WAN port) of the router.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 5

@robgamesboy wrote:

Hi - I actually have the D7000 model no Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Modem router but it's not an option in the drop down menu here.

It is if you start in the right place.

DSL Modems & Routers - NETGEAR Communities

You might find more on this topic there.

@tlmassey  has already answered your question.

There is also a manual for the D7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Page 16 shows you where to fund the Internet plug that bypasses the modem bit.

Depending on the modem you buy and how you configure it, you should be able to use the D7000 as a router or as an access point.

This is where you can find out about Netgear's cable modems:

Cable Modem Routers & Cable Modems | NETGEAR

Message 3 of 5
robgamesboy
Aspirant

Hi -it's a telstra cable into the house but it's not NBN-ready yet. 

Thanks,

Rob

Message 4 of 5
robgamesboy
Aspirant

Thanks all. Appreciate your responses.

Rob

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies