Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk D7000 2.4Ghz WiFi issues

Sure, here it is. As far as what devices I have connected to wifi:

Xbox One X

Xbox One S

Playstation 4 Pro

2 x iPhone X

iPhone 6 Plus

3 x iPads (generations 3, 4, and 1st Air)

Amazon Echo (1st generation)

Amazon Fire Tablet (Kid's Edition)

Logitech Harmony Hub

2015 Macbook Pro

DirecTV HR54

HP Officejet 4650

There are a couple things listed on the router that I can't readily identify, but I'm sure they're devices I have around the house somewhere.

netgear.JPG

Message 551 of 595
Jovian
Star

What should I tell my ISP? Is this linked to wifi problems?

Also, all my devices are running the latest firmware/software. I always make sure of it.

As for the splitter, I've attached a picture of what it looks like. A BT engineer came and replaced our old splitter with this... About a year ago so its fairly new.

I don't think those statistics are showing when my devices get disconnected which is odd. Sometimes it will disconnect and reconnect almost instantly. Sometimes it will disconnect the wifi and I can't connect back. The internet is still on at this time but the wifi dies I guess. I know this because I have my PS4 wired. I'll be playing games and everyone else in the house will tell me that the wifi isn't working so I end up rebooting the router so it works for everyone. 

Message 552 of 595
Jovian
Star

D7000v2 Firmware Version 
V1.0.0.47_1.0.1

Message 553 of 595
omatsei
Aspirant

I'm on firmware V1.0.1.64_1.0.1. 

I don't have the VDSL line plugged in at all. I haven't actually had DSL in about 6 months (I had DSL for several years until a good cable company moved into the area). The cable modem is plugged into the "Internet" port. 

Message 554 of 595

@omatsei wrote:

I don't have the VDSL line plugged in at all.

Bingo! This is new information that changes everything, and may even exonerate Netgear.

There is a high probability that your network is misconfigured, perhaps with two routers fighting to control the network.

You don't say what your modem, or its equivalent, is, so no one can tell if it also acts as a router and if you can put it into "modem only" (or bridge) mode.

Nor can I see any indication that you have put the D7000, which is also a modem, into access point (AP) mode, an alternative strategy. Simply plugging the internet into the WAN socket still leaves the router active.

As I said, we don't know about your modem, but we do know that it is easy to put your D7000 into AP mode.

Read page 122 of the manual for the D7000, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Maybe you have done this. But it isn't obvious from your earlier messages.

Message 555 of 595
omatsei
Aspirant

Unfortunately, I've only had a cable modem for about 6 months, but my issues go back over a year. I've been patiently waiting for the 802.11ax routers to become available, but it looks like they aren't coming anytime soon.

The cable modem/router was acting like a router, for a while. I also set it as a gateway (or bridged mode), to rule that out as a possibility, but the problems remained regardless. The cable modem/router was an AP with a different SSID for its network, and operating on different channels. I actually used that as a failsafe for wifi (like, if my toddler were trying to watch videos and the network dropped, I needed to get it up and running ASAP, or endure the wrath of a 4-year-old)... if devices were dropped off the Netgear wifi, I'd join them to the cable modem wifi, and I never ran into any issues with it. The only reason I switched the cable modem to act as a gateway instead of a router is because some devices/services don't like double-NAT environments (like Plex, for some reason). 

I never put the D7000 into AP-only mode... didn't know that was an option, but I probably wouldn't have done it anyway. I trust the Netgear's firewall more than the cable company-provided modem (call me paranoid). 

Edit: My cable modem is a Hitron CGNM, or something like that. I'm not a fan, but supposedly I have to use it to get the speed from my cable company that I need.

Message 556 of 595
Jovian
Star

So my main issue is the WiFi not working properly. How do I get that fixed? This noise margin stuff isn't my problem. Internet stays stable on my cheap ISP router but the WiFi sucks. Why am I constantly being disconnected and reconnected onto the WiFi network with the D7000v2 running latest software?

Others feel free to reply to me and help out. Especially if you've managed to fix your issues
Message 557 of 595
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jovian 

This thread is for D7000v1 2.4 Ghz WiFi issues which should have been addressed with the 1.0.1.64 firmware. If you are having issues with D7000v2 and have Google devices such as Chromecast or google home devices I would recommend to start by updating those to latest version. If that has been done or you do not have  any google devices on your network I would suggest to contact tech support and work with them on this issue as there could be number of things responsible for your WiFi stability issues. WiFi issues can be tricky to resolve as there is so many things that can impact WiFi performance and stability. 

If anyone else has other issues with D7000v2 I would recommend to post those in the D7000v2 section/threads. 

Message 558 of 595
Jovian
Star

Hi, I'm sorry. I know you definitely know a lot more about this stuff than me obviously. I just thought why WiFi would suffer if VDSL had a problem. Anyway I understand now so thanks for that. I'm about to give my ISP a call. I just wanted to plug in the old router so that they don't try to blame it on the router. Here's a screenshot of the closest thing I could find.
Message 559 of 595
Jovian
Star

Here's a picture of my filter? I guess? Some engineer from BT came and installed that about a year ago. So it's quite a new fitting.
Message 560 of 595

Lucky you. When the OpenReach technician visited last week – do dial tone but perfect internet – she said that those sockets are hard to come by. The filter is built into the socket.

Have you tried running BT's "self test" on your line?

BT Troubleshooter | Account checks

You could also run the BTW speedtest and check the IP profile.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Take it all the way to the "ufther etsts" stage.

With luck it will deliver something like this:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 71.54 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-73.7 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 73.7 Mbps

Message 561 of 595
Jovian
Star

Yeah I'm with talktalk, so I can't do the first test and the second test doesn't seem to work. After clicking further diagnosis, I get this message. " The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."

Also the speedtest is a bit weird... Check the Image attached. It shows that I have 572mbps 

Message 562 of 595

@Jovian wrote:

Yeah I'm with talktalk

You have my sympathy. Possibly the world's worst Internet service provider.

Good luck getting TalkTalk to provide support. It stands between you and OpenReach and if my experience is anything to go by TalkTalk is reluctant to hand over these things.

Message 563 of 595

@Case850 wrote:

I am going to say this for the last time. You have a problem with the VDSL line and it is in the Upstream direction.

The download speed makes no sense to me. 572 Mbps? Not on a VDSL line.

Message 564 of 595
Jovian
Star

I did the test again on edge browser and got 72mbps. I guess chrome was being weird.

And yeah, but they're the cheapest so that's why we have it. My parents pay so I can't really do much about that. 😕
Message 565 of 595
Jovian
Star

Yes I understand completely. Do you have any idea what I should tell the engineer when he/she comes to my house on Friday? I have no idea how this problem can be fixed. I posted a picture of my filter box thing so there's no much I can do there.

I'm sorry for you having to repeat yourself. I just want to get my stuff sorted out honestly. I appreciate your time and efforts
Message 566 of 595

@Jovian wrote:
I did the test again on edge browser and got 72mbps. I guess chrome was being weird.

Funnily enough, I see similar issues when I run speed tests with Firefox.

Just for the heck of it, from time to time I run tests on half a dozen different sites. Firefox sometimes delivers half the speed at BT that it gets on other tests.

This has convinced me that it isn't always right to blame either the router or the internet connection.

Message 567 of 595

@Jovian wrote:
Do you have any idea what I should tell the engineer when he/she comes to my house on Friday?

Just explain the issue. They have test kit that should narrow down the source of the problem.

I hope you aren't on one of those "You pay £100 if we don't find an issue" calls. OpenReach does that to deter time wasters, which is partly why TalkTalk is not keen to call them in.

Message 568 of 595
Jovian
Star

Was a weird call, the guy I spoke to from talktalk didn't really sound like he knew what he was talking about. He did some diagnosis on my phone line and then said it seemed fine. I told him it wasn't fine and so he just said is Friday okay for an engineer to come out and check? I said yeah sure and that was the end of it. Said nothing about me having to pay for anything so there's no way I'm gonna accept being charged. I pay them monthly for a service and they better provide it or fix it when it goes down 😕
Message 569 of 595

Good luck.

But I remain unconvinced that you have a line problem.

I'm with your earlier bafflement as to why line problems should cause your wifi to vanish.

But I'm no expert, certainly not a self-proclaimed network engineer, just a TalkTalk and BT customer since DARPA invented the internet.

Message 570 of 595
Jovian
Star

Well, I will try to rule out the line issue after I get a visit from the engineer and then move on from there. Last year when I first got my D7000, it worked flawlessly with the exact same line (Same upstream and downstream numbers) until the everyone's D7000 decided to die of course. 

Message 571 of 595
Jovian
Star

Okay, so the engineer came out, did his checks with his little machine and he was getting all ticks and said that the line is fine. Not getting any errors or anything.

So this just leads me to believe that the issue is with the router. I think I might give Netgear a call to try and figure this out.
Message 572 of 595
Jovian
Star

Well I told him everything you told me, he said it's within tolerance and whatever and that it's fine so I'm not sure what else I can do honestly. He kept showing me his little machine that shows if there's a problem with the line and it was all green for everything.
Message 573 of 595
hhexum
Aspirant

I followed the directions to enable my Wifi AP.

Click on this link

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-set...

Message 574 of 595

@hhexum wrote:

I followed the directions to enable my Wifi AP.

Click on this link

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-set...

Interesting as that is, it doesn't seem to be related to what has gone before.

As this is your first message – and welcome to the party – I wonder if you have you have a problem that you are trying to fix. If so, tell us a bit more and someone may be able to help.

Message 575 of 595
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7