Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7000 Beamforming not working as expected

nicolassp
Tutor

Nighthawk D7000 Beamforming not working as expected

Hello, i observe that beamforming does not work as expected. I do not see any difference when i move some meters away from the modem/router (10-12 meters with 2 walls). The signal remains the same as with other equipment and there is no speed difference using 2.4Ghz/5Ghz band.

Maybe updated wifi drivers for this modem/router would solve the issue.

Thank you.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello nicolassp

Here is a article on what beamforming is suppose to be doing.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2534

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

It is two way business. Betwen device and router. Is your device capable of beam forming?

Message 3 of 6

There are 2 types of beamforming, explicit beamforming which requires both sides to have capable hardware and implicit beamforming where the router tries to find where the device is located and polarize the signal in that direction. Now i have a nighthawk R7000 which supports both types so i guess D7000 should do aswell.

Message 4 of 6
VE6CGX
Master

Check firmware. I had R7000 beofre quite a while ago. Some firmware does not provide this function. Also depends on -N mode or -AC mode.

Throughput gain is more or less 10% when it is working. There is a good article at smallnetbuilder which may interest you specially the test

was using R7000.

Message 5 of 6
nicolassp
Tutor

Thank you very much for your replies. I do not have other beamforming equipment and the gain with d7000 beamforming is not noticeable but it is ok.

Best regards

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7