Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7000 - DHCP Address Reservation not Working

nzsteve
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk D7000 - DHCP Address Reservation not Working

Hi,

I upgraded from the 1.0.0.32 firmware to the just released 1.0.0.38.

Suddenly all my address reservations are being ignored!

I reset and reentered. Still no go.

I've reverted back ot the 1.0.0.32 release and everything is go again.

It doesn;t look like the issues with 1.0.0.34 have been addressed (no pun intended!).

Does anyone else see the same issues?

Steve

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 26 of 106
bobjane
Star

It doesn't help that the OP marked this thread as "solved".

Reverting back to 1.0.0.32 which has other serious issues is hardly a solution.

I thought it would be basic common sense to test the firmware before releasing it. In particular the DHCP issue for which 1.0.0.34 was withdrawn. Ridiculous.

Message 27 of 106
nzsteve
Aspirant

It's hard to understand how a basic function in what must be common code across the entire range can regress. If Microsoft can produce one windows distribution that runs on just about any Intel architecture device you'd think netgear could do the same for their routers and modems. This piecemeal patching of seperate code sets must be a huge overhead and with so many models doing exhaustive testing is impractical. 

Message 28 of 106
nzsteve
Aspirant

ps. Hope they turn off the auto update !

Message 29 of 106
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Same problem here, I will follow the suggestion to roll back to .32

I'm a Netgear customer for at least 10 years and I'm seeing this brand going always more worst as quality and services

I think this will be my last Netgear puchase

Message 30 of 106
ratsalad
Star

Just bought and setup a D7000, had the same problem, on 1.0.0.38 couldn't get reservations to stick, did as suggested here, reverted back to 1.0.0.32

Hope they get this sorted soon,  it goes against my OCD to use older firmware 😉

Message 31 of 106
Brum80
Apprentice

So im in the same boat as everyone else. Upgraded to the latest firmware (1.0.0.38) and now my DHCP has stopped working. Ridiculous. Anyway, having read this forum, I decided to downgrade to 1.0.0.32, but im having issues keeping my internet connection alive. After the firmware installed, my internet connection dropped around 5 minutes after. If I power cycle the router, I get the same thing. I actually took a screenshot of all my settings some time ago and its all setup the same. Ive even tried running the internet wizard, which applies the same settings, but again, within 5 mintues, internet is lost.

Has anyone else had this? Its driving me mad! I've had to upgrade to the latest firmware which gives me a stable connection, just no DHCP reservations.

Im using TalkTalk FTTC btw.

Finally, WAKE UP NETGEAR STAFF, THIS IS BASIC STUFF THAT USED TO WORK!!!!

Message 32 of 106
ukoldgit
Apprentice

I have a open ticket for the IP Lan reservation problem and they've confirmed there is a problem.

I don't know if any of you that downgraded the firmware to v32 are aware that the DLNA media server doesnt handle MP4 video's properly it thinks they are music files, version 38 cured this but its annoying that IP reservation doesnt work, they said it only affects wireless devices.

Message 33 of 106
Brum80
Apprentice

Sadly its not just wireless devices, its all devices. My NAS is hard wired and picks up DHCP.

Message 34 of 106
nzsteve
Aspirant

Thanks for submitting the fault.

It certainly is not just wireless devices. I have hard wired NAS, security cameras, printer and netgear smart switches that all went walkabout causing great confusion.

Rgds

Message 35 of 106
Brum80
Apprentice

I've also noted another issue, I have remote management enabled (restricted to two IP addresses) and that stopped working on the latest firmware. Thankfully I've managed to downgrade the firmware successfully.
Message 36 of 106
ratsalad
Star

I can also confirm this isn't just affecting wireless connections, at the time I tried 1.0.0.38  I had one wifi device and nine hard wired, all except my main PC on 192.168.0.2 refused to hold on to the reserved addresses

Message 37 of 106
steviep94
Tutor

I just wanted to say thanks to all who chip in on this forum - I "upgraded" to 1.0.0.38 over the weekend and was then faced with all manner of IP issues due to the DHCP reservations failing and couldn't understand what was going on until I read this thread!

Gone back to 1.0.0.32 and it all appears to be working now!

I can't believe that this hasnt been fixed by Netgear in almost 2 months!!!!

Message 38 of 106
Brum80
Apprentice

I wanted to let everyone know that Netgear have asked me to test a new firmware. Hopefully it fixes the issues everyone was having. Will keep you posted with the results.

Message 39 of 106
bobjane
Star

Surely testing is Netgear's job and not the users'?

It's not like the DHCP issue is situational or intermittent. Why are they not testing it themselves?

This is this first router I've had where it takes around a minute to save each and every configuration page. Manually reentering settings for each new firmware then doing it again to downgrade to a less broken version is a time consuming process. I did not pay $300 for a high end router to have my time wasted like this.

Message 40 of 106
ratsalad
Star

@Brum80 wrote:

I wanted to let everyone know that Netgear have asked me to test a new firmware. Hopefully it fixes the issues everyone was having. Will keep you posted with the results.

I also got asked, and installed it last night, all reservation addresses are working as they should now.

Message 41 of 106
GTunney
Apprentice

I'd say you've got something else wrong with your router. Not once have I had to re-do any settings when I've upgraded or downgraded a firmware. Also mine doesn't take 1 min to apply settings. Click submit and it's done in seconds. 

Message 42 of 106
Brum80
Apprentice

To be honest, your right, users shouldn't have to test the firmware but I am just glad that Netgear staff actually read these threads. However, I can confirm the test version has fixed my issues, DHCP reservations and remote management work as expected.

Message 43 of 106
bobjane
Star

@GTunney wrote:

I'd say you've got something else wrong with your router. Not once have I had to re-do any settings when I've upgraded or downgraded a firmware. Also mine doesn't take 1 min to apply settings. Click submit and it's done in seconds. 

Well that'w worrying.

Advanced -> Setup -> Wireless Setup. After clicking Apply, took 42 seconds for the progress bar to finish and return to the configuration page.

Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup. After clicking Apply, took 57 seconds for the progress bar to finish and return to the configuration page. Timed twice with the same results.

Advanced -> Setup -> QoS Setup. After clicking Apply, took 21 seconds for the "Please wait a moment" icon to finish and return to the configuration page. Timed twice with the same results.

Also just to clarify - the router isn't forcing me to redo settings after changing firmware. Netgear Reps say that not doing so is a possible cause of malfunctions, I do it to rule out that possibility.

Message 44 of 106
Adroin
Aspirant

Re : Nighthawk D7000 - DHCP Address Reservation not Working

Hi folks,

Do we already know the version number of the firmware that is known to solve this issue ?

It's just to be aware of what I should wait for...

Thanks for the feed back.

Message 45 of 106
Brum80
Apprentice

Re : Nighthawk D7000 - DHCP Address Reservation not Working

The test version I had was "V1.0.0.38_1.0.1_lanip_reserve". Im guessing it will be released as 1.0.0.40 though.

Message 46 of 106
AngelicCore
Tutor

I am having the same problem and will look for the link of the old firmware - 

Pretty disappointed with the purchase of my most expensive router. Will probably go back to using TPLink.

Message 47 of 106
ratsalad
Star

I would hold on switching back to TP-Link, a few of us were given a trial firmware and the issue has been resolved, I can't see it being too long before it's officially released.
Message 48 of 106
TomW1605
Aspirant

hi

i am new here but i am having the same problem. i have downgraded to 1.0.0.32 and it seams to be working. i have a question for the people with the test FW. have you been given any indication as to when it will be relesed or is there a way for others to get it?

thanks for any help

Message 49 of 106
Brum80
Apprentice

No timescale was given unfortunately, I was just told it would be released "soon". Make sure you keep a copy of the 1.0.0.32 firmware though, just in case it gets pulled from the website.

Message 50 of 106
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7