Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7000 v2 dropping out with new NBN settings

Qamarsky
Aspirant

Nighthawk D7000 v2 dropping out with new NBN settings

Lately I have been experiencing multiple drop outs on my Nighthawk router. Seems like ten or so a day! Some are due to line drops, but fewer than half. My ISP said that the new NBN settings virtually require SRA to be activated in order to deal with the drop outs, but it looks like this Nighthawk modem has no way of turning SRA on. 

I have tried the suggestions in this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Gateways/D7000v2-dropping-internet-connection/td-p/17918...

(though I didn't have the option for channel 128 in my 5G band, so I set it at 149, and I also am not sure what "flashing" the modem means, so I haven't done that either). Also my MTU had been set at something lower than 1492 (on advice from my ISP), but I've set it back up to 1492.

It's only been 10 minutes, but so far no drops - which I guess is something!! 😛

Has anyone else had this issue? I would really hate to have to buy another modem with SRA enabled, and just use this as an expensive router, but that may be my best option??

Message 1 of 6

Re: Nighthawk D7000 v2 dropping out with new NBN settings

@Qamarsky wrote:

My ISP said that the new NBN settings virtually require SRA to be activated in order to deal with the drop outs, but it looks like this Nighthawk modem has no way of turning SRA on. 

Which ISP is this?

About a year ago they changed the DSL specs for NBN. That, sadly killed, quite a few DSL modems, with little hope that they would get fixed.

The tip you read won't be much help in Oz. That looks like a UK model.

Solved: Re: SOS and ROC Updates - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 6
Qamarsky
Aspirant

Thanks, that's a super helpful thread.

The ISP is Mint Telecom. I guess I'll keep an eye out for a modem only option. Assume that the D7000 v2 can run as router only??

Message 3 of 6

@Qamarsky wrote:

Assume that the D7000 v2 can run as router only??

Yes. Given its age, it won't be the most capable router around but if it meets your needs fine.

The manual explains what to do to connect to a cable service, but essentially you connect the modem to the WAN/Internet port on the D7000.

Message 4 of 6
w3wilkes
Prodigy

On the D7000v2 the WAN port is LAN port 4. Netgear cut some costs eliminating the dedicated WAN port that was there on the prior version.

Message 5 of 6

@w3wilkes wrote:

On the D7000v2 the WAN port is LAN port 4. Netgear cut some costs eliminating the dedicated WAN port that was there on the prior version.

Well spotted. But when they do that they usually use one port as a WAN/LAN port. Yu can still ise it, but with one less LAN port.

On the D7000v2 it is port 4.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7