Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D7000v2 will not update firmware

hornet123
Tutor

When i log into Nighthawk D7000v2 icon tells me i need to update the firmware to 1.0.0.45_1.0.1. i have run the automatic link and download to PC. Seems to run through the sequence yet after reboot still shows that i require latest firmware. Followed info on help sheet and directly connected the nighthawk via cable, but was still unsuccessful. Also experiencing disconnection from the internet .
Message 1 of 7
tlmassey
Apprentice

Re: Nighthawk D7000v2 will not update firmware

Hi Hornet123,

Your description of what you did is a little vague, so I'll ask a few clarifying questions.

1) After downloading the new firmware, did you log back into the router and load the new firmware (Administration --> Firmware update)?

2) When you say "after reboot," you're referring to rebooting the router after the aforementioned firmware update, right?

3) Did you restore factory settings after the firmware update?  At least in my version of the manual and all documentation, that's included as a critical step since different firmware may have different settings, and there's no guarantee that your settings are preserved across updates.

4) What did you directly connect the nighthawk to, via what type of cable, and what for?

Hopefully with a little more info we can get this figured out.

Message 2 of 7
hornet123
Tutor

Hi Tlmassey

Thanks for the reply

I downloaded the firmware and saved to desktop

pluged in the ethernet cable and logged into nighthawk directly 

Administration -- router update -- Browse -- file -- upload

The sequence started and the amber light begun to flash progress bar on screen and then msg of rebooting router

How ever i didn't restore factory setting as you mentioned, i will try this and see if this makes a difference 

Thanks again

Message 3 of 7
tlmassey
Apprentice

You also mentioned that you're seeing disconnections... check your MTU settings, as I recall that many DSL connections are happiest at MTUs other than the standard 1500.  Your ISP should be able to provide information on the appropriate MTU, or else you can try googling for recommendations from people with the same ISP in your local area.

Message 4 of 7

It is a well known bug. Read all about it here:

D7000v2 firmware update v1.0.0.45 will NOT install - NETGEAR Communities

A forum search may find more along similar lines.

Don't waste any more time on this one. Eventually Netgear will come up with a fix, but at the moment it is firefighting issues that really do matter. You are lucky that you do not have the v1 version of this hardware. (Do not try using the firmware for that because it will not work.)

Message 5 of 7
hornet123
Tutor

thank you for the reply Guys

i will leave firmware as is.

The Disconnection frequancy seems to be increasing and taking alot longer to reconnect. 

is there anything further i should try?

i will look at the MTU setting and see if this makes any difference 

Message 6 of 7

@hornet123 wrote:

thank you for the reply Guys

i will leave firmware as is.

The Disconnection frequancy seems to be increasing and taking alot longer to reconnect. 

is there anything further i should try?

i will look at the MTU setting and see if this makes any difference 

This discussion is about the failure to update firmware. See the subject:

If you have wifi connection issues, then you would do better to start a fresh discussion where Netgear's minders are more likely to see it.

So far the main culprits for wifi problems have been the R7000 and D7000v1.

As yet, there have been few complaints about wifi and the D7000v2 and the R7000P. which seem to have different chipsets.

This means that any victims have yet to try the usual tricks to fix wifi problems. Hence the suggestion that you start a new discussion.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7