Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7800 Modem Only - no Internet

Failed_Again
Guide

Nighthawk D7800 Modem Only - no Internet

When I put my Nighthawk D7800 modem/router into 'modem only' mode it will not connect to the internet. I've tried all the normal powerdown and restart options but the LED is still red and the status says no internet.

If I then flick the mode back to 'router/modem' - then it instantly connects, LED and status both report connected.

Any idea as I'm pulling my hair out!!

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Correct. Run the D7800 in router mode so you can get online and it works. 

Then connect the google router to it. 

Access the google router and find out what IP address it uses. 

Put that address into the netgears DMZ. This automatically forwards all the data to the google device. 

You can disable the wireless on the D7800 if you'd like to reduce wireless interference. (either through the browser or the hardware button on the router)

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies

@Failed_Again wrote:

When I put my Nighthawk D7800 modem/router into 'modem only' mode it will not connect to the internet. I've tried all the normal powerdown and restart options but the LED is still red and the status says no internet.

What sort of Internet service do you have?

What are you using as a router for "modem only" mode?

Message 2 of 16
plemans
Guru

Is there a reason you're using it in modem only mode?

I'm not 100% as I don't have dsl but in modem only mode, the router usually also has to have the internet login info setup as well. 

Have you done that? 

Otherwise, you could use it in router mode, disable its wifi, and put whatever you're using as a router in the D7800's dmz. 

Message 3 of 16
Failed_Again
Guide

I have a DSL internet service and I have a Google Mesh network so I plug the Google Mesh hub (Nest WiFi) into the Lan port of the Nighthawk and the Nighthawk into the DSL phone point in the wall.

I have set up the internet username and password in the Nighthawk.

Remember, when the router is in 'router/modem' mode everything works - I get the internet via both Nighthawk and Google mesh. It's when I flick on to Modem-only mode that the internet drops and refuses to connect ?!?!?

I am getting a double NAT which is why I want to use the Nighthawk as modem only.

Message 4 of 16
Failed_Again
Guide

I am using a Google Wifi Mesh network and am getting a double NAT so want to use the Nighthawk as a modem only. Yes, I'm set up all the correct usernames and passwords for the internet access

Message 5 of 16
plemans
Guru

In modem only mode, I believe you'd also need the ISP settings in the google device and not just the netgear. 

again, its been a while since I used dsl but that's how I used to have to set it up using a DM200 at my parents place. 

With the D7800 in router mode, you can always put the googles ip address into the netgears DMZ. 

Message 6 of 16

@plemans wrote:

In modem only mode, I believe you'd also need the ISP settings in the google device and not just the netgear. 

again, its been a while since I used dsl but that's how I used to have to set it up using a DM200 at my parents place. 

Yes. It is how  I have to use my current DM200.

What you do is setup the D7800, then put it into modem mode.

After that, you turn off the D7800 and the Google box and run the network through this process:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

When the D7800 it has connected to the Internet, and  not before, you can turn on the Google thing and do whatever you have to do to get it to connect to the Internet.

I don't know how Google stuff works, but in the case if a Netgear router this means going into the browser graphical user interface (GUI) and running through the ISP setup process.

Message 7 of 16
Failed_Again
Guide

Yes I tried this. Problem is when I put it in modem-only mode then reboot I cannot connect to it (not via wifi or hard-wired ethernet).

I had to do a factory reset in order to reconnect.

Message 8 of 16

@Failed_Again wrote:

Yes I tried this. Problem is when I put it in modem-only mode then reboot I cannot connect to it (not via wifi or hard-wired ethernet).

Smells like something on the Mesh box.

Which model do you have?

Message 9 of 16
Failed_Again
Guide

The Mesh is a Google Nest Router (model H2D). 

Thing is, if I unplug the Mesh and put the Nighthawk into modem only mode I'd still expect it to connect to the internet and show a white LED light. I'd also expect to be able to access the Genie GUI via an ethernet cable. But none of these work; I only get a solid amber LED and cannot connect on the 192.168.1.1 address.

Someone said I needed to add the PPPoE details into the Google Mesh, sounded strange but it's the only thing I haven't tried - what do you think? I'd have thought the PPPoE was in the modem (Nighthawk)

Message 10 of 16

@Failed_Again wrote:

Thing is, if I unplug the Mesh and put the Nighthawk into modem only mode I'd still expect it to connect to the internet and show a white LED light.

I agree. It  should show an "Internet connected" LED. (Not sure about the colour.)

Someone said I needed to add the PPPoE details into the Google Mesh, sounded strange but it's the only thing I haven't tried - what do you think? I'd have thought the PPPoE was in the modem (Nighthawk)

Why strange? As @plemans and I have said that is exactly what you have to do.

Believe me, I know from experience as I have had to set up a new router a half a dozen times this week. (Testing a new device.) It always needs PPPoE details. Without it  the router cannot connect.

Perhaps that is where you are going wring. What does the manual for the H2D say?

In the case of my new router, and older routers that I have installed, it has an automated "wizard" that I can run to automatically detect the Internet settings.

Message 11 of 16
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Yes, you need to do the PPPoE setup in the Google mesh once the D7800 is in modem only mode. You will also specify your ISP credentials (UID/Password) in the Google mesh router. The Netgear D7800 is transparent and just converts the DSL signal to ethernet signal. The Google mesh will actually do the ISP login through the transparent D7800 in modem only mode and the Google mesh WAN port will show the IP address from the ISP. And yes, you cannot directly access the D7800 once it's in modem only mode unless you do a factory reset which puts it back in modem/router mode.

Message 12 of 16
Failed_Again
Guide

Thanks everyone for your help on this. For some reason the Google wifi primary router wont let me enter any pppoe details - I think it's a bug as loads of people seem to have the same issue. Anyway, I've configured a port to bridge to the mesh router and although the Nighthawk successfully connects to the internet the mesh router cannot see it ?!?!? Any ideas or other config I need to do?

Message 13 of 16
Failed_Again
Guide

Thanks @plemans 

So, to add the Google router into the DMZ is this what I need to do : https://kb.netgear.com/19784/Enabling-DMZ-server-on-NETGEAR-home-routers

Sorry, I've passed the limits of my knowledge on this now (do I also need to set up a bridge on the google router port?)

Message 14 of 16
plemans
Guru

Correct. Run the D7800 in router mode so you can get online and it works. 

Then connect the google router to it. 

Access the google router and find out what IP address it uses. 

Put that address into the netgears DMZ. This automatically forwards all the data to the google device. 

You can disable the wireless on the D7800 if you'd like to reduce wireless interference. (either through the browser or the hardware button on the router)

Message 15 of 16
Failed_Again
Guide

Thanks @plemans  - I've done as you suggested and it's working !!

I'll monitor the situation over the next few days and see if the stop the double nat / google dropping out problem.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7