Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7800 Wifi turns itself off and cannot be enabled other than a factory reset

martinwhitear
Aspirant

Nighthawk D7800 Wifi turns itself off and cannot be enabled other than a factory reset

Nighthawk X4S D7800 - WiFi Keeps switching itself off every couple of days and cannot be enabled in the admin GUI. Updated to the latest firmware but the issue still happens. The only solution is to do a factory reset which is very time consuming. Really getting fed up as this router was nearly £300. Does anyone know of a solution??? Or is this a warranty replacement?? I've only had it 6 months.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Re: Nighthawk D7800 Wifi turns itself off and cannot be enabled other than a factory reset

Which firmware version are you running?

The latest appeared just a couple of weeks ago:

D7800 Firmware Version 1.0.1.31 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Is that what you have?

There has been a spate of iffy firmware in recent months, causing wifi issues on some models. So far the D7800 hasn't been among them, but you never know.

Do the wifi lights stay on? Is the SSID visible? Is this both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz?

Message 2 of 10
martinwhitear
Aspirant

I have no idea as I never switch it off at night as we have devices in the house that need to stay connected. When it does die the Wifi light goes off as though it's been disabled. I've spent considerable time rebooting the router and attempting to switch the wifi radio on / off with no success.

I suspect that it's a firmware issue however but it's already on the latest version so at a loss now. Netgear don't provide support on products over 90 days old which I find unbelieveable!!

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 3 of 10

You could see if earlier firmware works.

You will be trading off possibly security issues for a functioning modem/router.

Message 4 of 10
martinwhitear
Aspirant

Hi yes the router is on the latest firmware and was only updated last week - I've been working in IT (Unix) for the past 20 years so am familiar with ensuring that firmware / software levels are current or at least one level back (on a known stable version)

The WiFi Led goes off and both 2.4G and 5G go offline. Within the admin / Wireless page the enable wifi check box is greyed out. Rebooting the device does nothing to reenable the wifi but the ethernet ports are all still active and ADSL is connected so it's only the wifi that dies.

Message 5 of 10
martinwhitear
Aspirant

Hi, no the case is very cool and it doesn't appear to be a heat issue. The issue only arose about 3 weeks ago when I got up one Sunday morning. Not sure if an automated update had been pushed out but after eventually trawling the internet and finding a discussion thread advising to do a factory reset I managed to get the wifi working again. I did check the firmware at that time and it wasn't up to date so I updated it to the latest but only a few days later it did the same thing again and I had to reset it. The Wifi radio died again last Friday 5th Jan during the day. I had taken a backup of the config and restored it after a lot of messing about as the restore process appeared to hang. It's been running fine since Jan 5th so it's almost managed 3 days so far! 

Message 6 of 10
martinwhitear
Aspirant

Hi - Will have to take a look when I am back home as I'm at work currently.

Is there a known hardware issue with some that are manufactured in a certain region??

Martin

Message 7 of 10
martinwhitear
Aspirant

Hi again,

There doesn't appear to be any indication of region where the router was manufactured. Only Netgear California.

Yet again the WiFi died yesterday during the daytime when my wife was at home. So it managed to stay in a working state for a little over 5 days this time.

I think as I'm not getting any help from Netgear I will be taking it back to PC World and requesting a replacement but not another Netgear or Draytek as both have been a pile of rubbish for WiFi!

Might have to revert to the BT Homehub

Message 8 of 10
martinwhitear
Aspirant

# Hard reset by holding in the reset button for several seconds on the back of the router

# Have done both manual screen by screen configuration and restored from a .cfg file also

I suspect the router had received an automated update a few weeks back which originally caused this issue as it's been perfectly ok for 5 months. Wifi was going offline on the previous firmware (don't know what the level was) it's on the very latest level now but WiFi died again yesterday and I had to reset it again.

Message 9 of 10

It isn't clear from this growing discussion if, as suggested before, you ever tried an older firmware that predates the one that you suspect may have triggered the first spate of problems.

If you try that, reset the things and do not restore the configuration from a backup. That may just bring the bug back from the dead.

As yet, the D7800 does not seem to have joined the small but growing band of devices that have wifi issues following new firmware that was probably intended to block the KRACK security hole.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7