Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk D7800 X4S local wifi speed

Eire05
Aspirant

Nighthawk D7800 X4S local wifi speed

Hello Everyone,

I really hope you can help as nothing so far has been able to fix this issue. So I have a completely wired house with only one non wired system (not including mobile phone) which is an acer predator helios 300 laptop that has a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 Killer Ethernet E2500 network card (Also has a gen4 nvme). I am connecting to the X4S and getting a connection speed in properties on the laptop of 866/866 right beside the router which is not perfect but not a problem.

The issue is no matter what speed I get the connection on I cannot transfer a file from my nas (which is connected via gigabit port to router) faster than 11Mbs when it should be 100+Mbs. Once I connect with hardwire to spare port on router -  no issue I get the correct speed and same for any other hard connected device. I feel like I have been through every forum and setting with no luck so if anyone has any insight please help. I had a similar issue many years ago that someone fixed but I cannot remember the steps to reproduce the fix.

Just so there is no confusion I am not speaking about my internet connection speed I am only focused on local network.

Looking forward to hearing from you 

Eire05

Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

not trying to be difficult but any chance its MBps and not mbps? 

https://www.allconnect.com/blog/mbps-vs-mbps

I've seen users get confused about that before when measuring internal transfers on their network. 

Message 2 of 13
Eire05
Aspirant

Thank you for replying and totally understand the need for clarity. Ok so wired it is 113 MB/s as per the pic attached (just the gigabit switch is saturated at this speed) and on wireless it is 11 MB/s which is one tenth the speed but has a connection that should also saturate the gigabit switch the data is transferring through (so 113 MB/s)

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

Dang, got a pretty solid nas if you're saturating a gigabit setup. What nas is it? 

Is it only when downloading/uploading to nas that you get slow speeds over wifi? Works fine when speedtesting online? 

Message 4 of 13
Eire05
Aspirant

Thank you again for writing back you seem to be my only fan 😞 . So this  is not an online network at all just local lan so files from nas to computer Back story is i have been hardwired without a laptop for nearly 15 years so never saw this issue until now (except one time for about 4-6 months) as i have always believed nothing will ever beat wired. Anyway I know my connection at 866 is supposed to be 100MB's but its not working. I did find my old issue in the 90's/2000's was due to duplex not being enabled but that does not help here

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

So a few points. 

1. the 866mbps is  link speed. Not throughput speed. throughput tends to be around 55-65% of what link speed is. 

2. thats mbps, not MBps. the 11MB/s you're getting works out to around 90mbps. 

3. you won't hit 113MB/s (940mbps) on wireless with that router class. You won't even get close to it. The D7800 over a wireless connection might hit 50MB/s (400mbps) and that would be over 5ghz, close to the router, and with everything working perfect. 

4. its challenging to diagnose something like there because its challenging to find where the bottleneck is. Is it the router having to go from wired--->wireless or is it something else. Again, tough when you don't have anything else to test against. Don't suppose you have another computer you can do a test against?

5. what NAS is it? 

Message 6 of 13
Eire05
Aspirant

Yes there is 3 other wired computers and they all have full speed . The office is about 150 m away but no dip in speed (line can take 10k anyway) . Laptop is only wireless device connected to nas for file transfer purpose but right beside it
Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

any other wireless devices you could test?

Message 8 of 13
Eire05
Aspirant

I do but unfortunately it (laptop) is a good bit older and only has a wireless n card in it. You said earlier that my equipment could reach a possible 50MBs which would be a fine outcome as it would reduce large file transfer by a decent amount. The x4s says it can get to a throughput of 1733 but I have not been able to achieve that speed as 866 is the best I have seen. I do have an iPhone but unsure how to transfer large files to see it’s connection speed
Message 9 of 13
plemans
Guru

the 1733mbps is with a 4x4 antenna setup. the vast majority of wireless adapters are either 1x1 or 2x2 so either 433mbps link or 866mbps. And again, thats link speed and at the best connection. You won't see 1733mbps unless you update to one of those rare cards that supported 4x4 and you added antenna's to your device. 

Message 10 of 13
Eire05
Aspirant

I see. Thats ok as if I can reach the 50 that would be great just the current 10 means I am waiting for sometimes an hr or more for a file to come across 

Message 11 of 13
plemans
Guru

Again, I'd try testing a couple devices. 

And that 50MB/s is going to be if you're right next to the NAS and have no interference. That's the best possible you'll get with that device. Usually you're going to be slower because of network overhead/interference/distance/obstructions. 

Message 12 of 13
Eire05
Aspirant

I totally understand that and for this troubleshoot it is right bedside it
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements