Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R7000

lgarnand
Aspirant

Nighthawk R7000

My computer and my cell phone only see the 2.4g and not 5g wifi. My cable supplier Comzoom said I need to change it in the router but it won't let me. Any suggestions will help. thank you so much. 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk R7000

What cell phone and computer (with what wireless card/chipset)? 

If they don't have 5ghz, they won't see it. 

Message 2 of 6
lgarnand
Aspirant

My cell is new and has 5g with sprint. It was seeing 5g before and for some reason, it now only sees the 2.4g. My computer is old but is installed with windows 10 and Microsoft 365.
Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@lgarnand wrote:
My cell is new and has 5g with sprint. -----new doesn't mean it has 5ghz. and cellular 5g is not 5ghz. You're right it sure could have wifi 5ghz but just being "new" doesn't mean its wifi is 5ghz. It was seeing 5g before and for some reason, it now only sees the 2.4g. My computer is old but is installed with windows 10 and Microsoft 365.----windows 10 and microsoft office have nothing to do with a 5ghz wireless card. absolutely nothing. Its like if a mechanic asks you what motor is in your car and you say "well it has 4 wheels and 2 doors". 

we need details and specifics to help. 

firmware on the router? 

Modem/gateway its connected to? 

Actual phone?

Actual wireless chipset in the desktop? 

did you factory reset the router and reinstall at all?

Message 4 of 6
lgarnand
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your reply. I am not familar with computers and routers, etc. It's a learn as I go. Please bear with me. 

It's a Nighthawk Netgear28

It's connected to my modem which is a comzoom modem for internet and digital phone

TMobile Galaxy A51 5G Cell

HP all in one Desktop from 2008 with Windows10

I have not factory reset the modem. 

Thank you so much, 

Lynette 

Message 5 of 6

@lgarnand wrote:
My cell is new and has 5g with sprint. It was seeing 5g before and for some reason, it now only sees the 2.4g.

Is it really seeing just 2.4 GHz, or does it really see a single SSID that combines both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz?

The R7000 and R7000P (you have tagged both in different messages) support Smart Connect. If this is enabled in your router, both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz use the same SSID.

Wifi clients, the PC and cellphone, will then connect to the one that has the best signal. One minute it might be the 2.4  GHz, if you are at the other end of the house for example, the next minute it may choose 5 GHz because you are standing next to the router. (5GHz is faster  but has a shorter range.)

So, the key question is how do you know that the phone is connecting to 2.4 GHz? Most phones connect to what is there without telling you about the channels and bands. It can take quite some effort to see which sort of wifi you are really on.

@lgarnand wrote:
y computer is old but is installed with windows 10 and Microsoft 365.

As @plemans says, this does not guarantee that the old PC can handle 5 GHz wifi. That has nothing to do with the operating system.

To use 5 GHz you need the right hardware. A 12-year old HP device may not have the right hardware. But if you are using a USB device for the wifi, tell us what it is and someone may know if it does 5 GHz.

If your PC doesn't work with 5 GHz, then a USB "dongle" costs very little. Windows 10 should support most of those.

By the way "Nighthawk Netgear28" isn't a  bit of hardware. Unless you have changed it, it is probably the default SSID for the R7000(P). It may also be the label that Windows has given that router in your local network.

Finally, if it is at all possible, the best way to get the PC into the Internet is by wiring it into the router. Ethernet LAN is faster and more reliable that wifi, although I would not be surprised is a 12 year old PC does not support newer and faster LAN speeds.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7