Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X4S D7800 - SOS and ROC updates

Likewise
Follower

Nighthawk X4S D7800 - SOS and ROC updates

Hi guys,

I just received this message from MATES:

Unfortunately, nbn has advised us that you are currently using a non-compliant VDSL modem at <address>. Therefore, once nbn implements these changes, your nbn internet service with MATE may no longer work.

You can contact the manufacturer of your current VDSL modem and check whether a firmware update may be available to support the Save Our Showtime (SOS) and Robust Overhead Channel (ROC) functions required by nbn.

For modems not supporting these new functions, another function, Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) will be required by nbn.
A firmware update may make your modem compatible with nbn's changes.

I tried to find a firmware update to make my modem compliant with SOS and ROC (or SRA) but I didn't see anything relevant? Anybody else have this issue and know what a solution is? I just bought this modem 4 months ago so don't really want to buy another one if I can avoid it.

Cheers for the help.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X4S D7800 - SOS and ROC updates

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the DSL Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with DSL modems and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-dsl-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 5
HerRae
Guide

Same!  Only purchased this year...not cheap!  Can not find any info anywhere else either. Might try ringing them?

@Likewise wrote:

Hi guys,

Unfortunately, nbn has advised us that you are currently using a non-compliant VDSL modem at <address>. Therefore, once nbn implements these changes, your nbn internet service with MATE may no longer work.

You can contact the manufacturer of your current VDSL modem and check whether a firmware update may be available to support the Save Our Showtime (SOS) and Robust Overhead Channel (ROC) functions required by nbn.

For modems not supporting these new functions, another function, Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) will be required by nbn.

I tried to find a firmware update to make my modem compliant with SOS and ROC (or SRA) but I didn't see anything relevant? Anybody else have this issue and know what a solution is? I just bought this modem 4 months ago so don't really want to buy another one if I can avoid it.

Cheers for the help.

@Likewise wrote:

Hi guys,

Cheers for the help.

Message 3 of 5
HerRae
Guide

Others having the same problem...and seems no solution likely!

DM200 - Australia NBN - ROC & SOS Support - NETGEAR Communities

I am going to see if it DOES affect the service or not (though my tenants may not be impressed!), and if it does, then get a new unit.  Half a grand down the drain this year though 😕

Message 4 of 5

@HerRae wrote:

Others having the same problem...and seems no solution likely!

DM200 - Australia NBN - ROC & SOS Support - NETGEAR Communities

As explained elsewhere  – sorry you were led into a wild goose chase, we could have dealt this one here, but some people seem to suffer from compulsive obsessive disorder  – this is something that you  might like to investigate here:

Whirlpool Forums

More here:

SOS and ROC Updates - NETGEAR Communities

Apologies for the mess. Attempts to restore sanity have failed so far.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7