Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No internet connection Nighthawk X4S NETGEAR D7800

SilentLucidity
Aspirant

No internet connection Nighthawk X4S NETGEAR D7800

Hi Guys, 

Im in some need of serious help, and it would be great if someone could finally give me the answer ! 

I bought the Nighthawk X4S D7800 modem & router a couple of weeks back and its been sitting in its box gathering dust ever since.

I am not able to get it to connect to my internet. I have gone through all the walkthroughs and the manual on how to set up the router with no luck. I have spent over an hour on the phone to NETGEAR last week which was no help as she was basically just going through the exact steps that are laid out in the manual.

I rang my ISP who for obvious reasons cant help me out over the phone as its not a router they provided but they gave me the PPOE login details. 

I have tried to automatic setup on the genie page coming across the same "no internet detected" error. I have gone down the manual path of setting up the router and manually putting in the PPOE settings, power cycling the router and still no luck.

Is it a simple thing i am doing wrong!? I cant imagine it being this hard to set up. At my wits end with this now and regretting buying it. I have a £250 bit of plastic just sitting in the box gathering dust. 

Any one have any pointers / came across the same problem ? Is there an alternative way of setting this up without going through the genie process ? 

Any help would be much apreciated 

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
antinode
Guru

Re: No internet connection Nighthawk X4S NETGEAR D7800

> Is it a simple thing i am doing wrong!?

Do you think that anyone in your audience has any idea what you did?

> [...] my ISP [...]

Which "my ISP"?  Some readers may be using that ISP, and may be
familiar with their requirements.

> [...] they gave me the PPOE login details.

Aside from the actual user name and password, would you care to share
any of these data?  And, are there any non-alphanumeric characters in
these DSL/PPP credentials?  Some Netgear DSL device firmware mishandles
DSL/PPP passwords (and, I'd guess, user names, too) if they contain some
special characters.

> [...] I have gone down the manual path of setting up the router and
> manually putting in the PPOE settings, [...]

And what, exactly, did you put in where?

> [...] on the genie page [...]

Netgear calls multiple things "Genie".  Are you using a Web browser
to control the device, or a pad/phone app, or a desktop computer app, or
what?

> Any help would be much apreciated

You first?

Message 2 of 8
SilentLucidity
Aspirant

Hi Antinode, 

Thanks for your reply. I never tend to post of forums ( this being a lasty resort to fix my modem.router ) , so i was unsure on what info was necessary and what wasnt. 

In regards to your questions : 

• My ISP : MAGNET Network

• My password for PPOE settings has no special characters, only cap/small letters & numbers.

• "Going down the manual path of setting up the router" - Instead of letting the net genie automatically detect my settings etc ( which did not work ) i selected the "no" option and put in the PPOE settings on the internet setup within the Genie wizard when it asked me " do you have a login for your internet" , i selected yes and put in the email and password as requested. Copied and pasted it so that no mistake would be made with the lettering of the password.

• I have tried using the genie setup wizard ( not the app ) on both my PC & laptop with the same problems. 

Message 3 of 8

@SilentLucidity wrote:
I rang my ISP who for obvious reasons cant help me out over the phone as its not a router they provided but they gave me the PPOE login details. 

That is pretty outrageous behaviour on the part of your ISP. It sells broadband, not hardware. It should help you to get any modem to connect. My guess is that the ISP doesn't know how to do it and is fobbing you off.

Does MAGNET Network have a customer self-support forum? If so, I bet there are some other Netgear users out there.

What sort of broadband is this? ADSL, VDSL, something else?

What happened when you attempted the manual setup? Any useful error messages?

What do the LEDs look like on the D7800? Do they show that it is getting the DSL signal when you plug it in? The manual for the device is here:

>>> D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 87.

Is this the Magnet concerned?

https://www.magnet.ie/residential/

Not the most impressive documentation going.

Did you read this?

https://www.magnet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Simply-BB-Customer-Router-Setup.pdf

Apart from the fact that it seems to have been written in the era of Windows XP, it might help. Check some of the other documents there. Most hardware works in a similar way when it comes to the settings.

Message 4 of 8
SilentLucidity
Aspirant

Hi Michael, 

Thank you for your comment & help. I thought it was a "standard across the board " that if you decide to pick up a router that isnt provided by your ISP then it is up to the customer to get it up and running as its not approved by the ISP themselves even though they did tell me before i bought the NETGEAR router/modem that all routers, modems etc work on their line.

Ive had a look for a customer support forum but i cant seem to find anything. 

The broadband is VDSL from what i can see on the connection settings when logging into my old modem 

When i attempted the manual set up a message comes up ( the same message when i allow the Genie to auto set up ) saying that there is no internet connection found and to make sure that the ethernet cable is plugged in correctly / in the correct ports and that i have power cycled the modem / router. Even when i press next to go onto the next page, as there is an option to select "already done this" it asks me to put in the MAC address that is on the back on my old modem and it still doesnt pick anything up and i get the same display message " no internet connection found".

All the LED's come on , all the wifi LED's are white , the only LED that is not white is the internet icon , which is a solid amber. When trying to auto setup the modem/router it will flicker from white to amber a few times, but always ends up staying amber at the end. which im guessing means that there is no internet ! When i go to routerlogin.net and put in the credentials to log into my router, everything seems to be fine barr the internet part, everything else is all ticked green ( how many devices connected, wifi 2ghz & 5ghz bands etc ) 

Im going to give the MAGNET modem router set up guide a look and see if that might work, im not holding my breath but its worth a shot as nothing else seems to be working. 

Message 5 of 8

@SilentLucidity wrote:
All the LED's come on , all the wifi LED's are white , the only LED that is not white is the internet icon , which is a solid amber.

That's good news. It means that all is working as it should on the modem, but the login process is falling over.

If you are using the username and password that the ISP gives you – some ISPs don't actually need a password, the username ties to the phone line and gets you in that way – then it may be something wonky with the ISP's authentication process.

Unfortunately, feeding in the username and password aren't the only things that matter.

Some ISPs like to link your connection to the (often useless) hardware they "give" you. They do this by kicking you off the system if your modem does not have the right "mac address". (That's a techie thing that we should all be able to ignore, a unique identifier for every bit of hardware that tries to connect to the internet.) If the ISP does that then you have to tell your modem to lie about its mac address, or get the ISP to allow your device to get in there.

Ask then about that and we can take it from there.

Maybe the support people will be a bit better informed during the working week.

Message 6 of 8

Message 7 of 8
SilentLucidity
Aspirant

Hi Michael, 

I gave my ISP a call again today and they have escalated it to a technician who will give me a call back tomorrow. I mentioned about the MAC address and if they can change / is my line already set to accept any hardware with a different MAC address. They are going to address this issue tomorrow and let me know. 

When i bought the D7800 the firmware version was no the previous firmware version but the one before that , version .14 ? it wasnt working with that version, i then updated it to the .20/.22 version ? the one before the version you posted about and still no luck. Maybe updating to the new one might get it working even though its breaking others! lol 

Im going to wait and hear back from my ISP tomorrow and see. If i still have no luck i will give the update a go. If still no luck with that then i will return to Amazon and see about getting another one issued out to me and see if that works.

Thanks for all yoour help by the way and tips ! much appreciated 🙂 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7