Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems with 7000 as modem and 8000 as router

RichardIOM
Aspirant

Problems with 7000 as modem and 8000 as router

I am using two Netgear devices to access the internet (VDSL): a 7000 as modem (in pass-through mode) and an 8000 as router.

All worked well for several months, until I had some electrical work done yesterday, which necessitated the power being turned off for half an hour. When the power came back on, I couldn't access the internet. The modem is showing an orange light against "internet" (which is normal in modem-only mode) and the router is also showing an orange light for "internet" (which certainly isn't normal).

My ISP thought this might have been due to my login being set to use a fixed IP address, which could have been reassigned whilst my devices were offline, but switching to a dynamic IP address doesn't change anything. My assumption is that the settings have corrupted and the 7000 now thinks it is back in modem/router work and is not passing on the internet to the 8000.

I've tried connecting physically to both the 7000 and 8000 using an Ethernet cable, but in both cases "192.168.0.1" brings up the pages for the 8000. How do I directly access the 7000 to check its settings? Or does this sound like a different problem altogether?

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Problems with 7000 as modem and 8000 as router

You have the D7000?

Have you tried leaving it in router mode and the R8000 in access point mode? 

then you could use both devices and even separate them out a bit for more coverage

Message 2 of 7
RichardIOM
Aspirant

I originally bought the R8000 as a modem/router and then realised it was only a router (not capable of dialling in for VDSL) so bought the 7000 and used that as the modem. I did briefly try the 7000 as both modem and router, but I was getting a lot of dropouts and find the 8000 to be a much more powerful and reliable router.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

The wifi dropped or wired devices did to? 

If just wifi, put the D7000 in router mode and disable its wifi and just let the R8000 handle wifi

Message 4 of 7
RichardIOM
Aspirant

The wifi has remained up; I just can't connect to the internet. The "internet" lights on both the 7000 and 8000 are orange: normal for the 7000 in modem-only mode but indicating that the 8000 isn't receiving the internet from the 7000.

I didn't set up the system; it was done by a friend of mine who is a network and server engineer. I believe what you said is what he did, but the settings seem to have corrupted.

How would I access the 7000 to change its settings? Whether I connect via wifi or Ethernet cable (to either the 8000 or 7000), 192.168.0.1 brings up the admin pages for the 8000 not the 7000. Would the 7000 have a different address?

Message 5 of 7
w3wilkes
Prodigy

The only way you can access the D7000 is to factory reset it. You would then be able to connect a PC to the D7000 and access it. You might try the factory reset and then put the D7000 back in modem only mode and see if that fixes your issue. You should also verify that your credentials and PPPoE settings are correct in the R8000 for your ISP. The power hit may have messed up (a technical term) the D7000 modem only mode.

Message 6 of 7
RichardIOM
Aspirant

Thanks! That will be the next step. My ISP stated that the credentials we had were slightly wrong (a static rather than dynamic login address, meaning that somebody else could have taken my address whilst the devices were offline, though changing this didn't solve the problem).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7