Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sick of this DGN2200 Firmware. QoS not working, blocking devices not working.

Chaoslava
Aspirant

Sick of this DGN2200 Firmware. QoS not working, blocking devices not working.

I think this whole "create a service, then use it to block stuff in Firewall Rules" is totally asinine and pointless, it makes it so complicated and near impossible to do the simple task of opening a port, or closing it to all or certain devices.

Why is there absolutely no explanation in the setup page what the difference between "Send to LAN server" and "WAN servers" is?

What I want, is to just be able to select what I want to block, in this case it's a torrents port of 46244, so I make a definition in services "Torrents" with the TCP/UDP port of 46244 and save it. I then go into Firewall rules and I guess Torrents are an inbound service, right? So I go to "add"

I choose my inbound service "Torrents"

I choose "BLOCK Always"

And then I choose the device

Send to Lan server? What does this mean? No explanation anywhere.

Ok, well, the offending user is currently connected on 192.168.0.8, so I put that in.

Then what does WAN servers even mean?

"WAN Users
These settings determine which packets are covered by the rule, based on their source (WAN) IP address. Select the desired option:"

This is just gobbledegook. Spare me this BS Jargon, please. In the old firmware, it took a mere few seconds to just temporarily block someone from internet access, now it's this whole wild goose chase.

So.. I dunno, what do I put in? Well F*** if it matters anyway because I always just get a blank screen when I hit apply.

This new firmware is atrocious and buggy. It's awful, frankly. It's terrible. How did it even pass basic testing?

What's even more annoying is how QoS USED to work, but is now seemingly useless. It does NOT shape traffic in any way. I have it set so that my PC is the ONLY device with priority, but it doesn't matter in the slightest, as as soon as one guy in my house goes on Youtube or Facebook, my connection speed nosedives. I thought QoS was supposed to give the desired device optium traffic. Well, I can tell you, I bought this router for QoS and QoS alone, and it's very, VERY rarely worked.

What's worse is that I rang up Netgear support to try and get this thing working and they refused to help me unless I paid them EVEN MORE money to speak with their BS gearheads service, just because my router was more than a year old.

Next time, I'll go with a company like D-Link, or perhaps buy one of the cheap-o Netgear routers and hack it to actually gain the features I want, this is, unless, I can get the help I want.

Either point me towards the Firmware from early 2010, or please instruct me how to do things that I could perform so simply on the old firmware (namely, QoS so my PC gets best connection, and being able to block a range of ports / specific device from internet access)

Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
fax
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Sick of this DGN2200 Firmware. QoS not working, blocking devices not working.

Considering your router is out of guarantee you may want to try the latest DGN2200M firmware and see if it works any better. Nothing to loose 😉

Yes, 3G functions will not work (unless you enable them via telnet) but the rest should work fine.
Message 2 of 3
zahid019
Aspirant

Re: Sick of this DGN2200 Firmware. QoS not working, blocking devices not working.

Please, can you tell how to enable 3g via telent. thanks in advance.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series