Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Since D6300 Router doesn't allow to port forward inbound, is there a solution? (compatible firmware)

Tonello
Aspirant

Since D6300 Router doesn't allow to port forward inbound, is there a solution? (compatible firmware)

I have a D6300 but I can't find it in the models list; I know that the D6300 does not allow port forwarding inbound (still have no idea why........), but I need to set this up for server purposes. Is there a compatible firmware that allows this options to be available? Or do I have to go for a non-stock one in that case?

Thanks.

Model: R6300|Dual Band 11ac WiFi Router R6300
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: Since D6300 Router doesn't allow to port forward inbound, is there a solution? (compatible firmw

Port forwarding to a specific LAN IP address is supported, as described on page 100-101 of your user manual ( http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D6300/D6300_UM_23Dec2015.pdf?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Message 2 of 6
Tonello
Aspirant

Re: Since D6300 Router doesn't allow to port forward inbound, is there a solution? (compatible firmw

Thanks for the reply, but I did all the passages before too and http://www.portchecktool.com/ still says to me that the connection is refused for that port... I've even set both inbound and outbound firewall rules (actually I disabled the firewall so that shouldn't be an issue)... I honestly don't know what else to do here.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

One possibility is that your ISP is blocking the port.  What port number are you trying to forward?

Also, the port check tools are end-to-end checks.  So if the device you are forwarding too doesn't respond, then the check will fail.

Also, can you look at the public internet address reported by portchecktool.com, and make sure that it matches the public IP address that your router is reporting?  If it doesn't match then there is another NAT device on the path to the web site (some ISPs are starting to use NAT in their network).

Message 4 of 6
Tonello
Aspirant

Thank you so much and sorry for the late reply!
I've checked the IP and it is the same on both portchecktool.com and the one provided in the router page.

I'm trying to port forward port 25565 to host a Minecraft server with a friend; right now I've had success using Tunngle and opening the relative port, I don't know if this helps as an information. The program says that the port is open (111 something) and I can host the server through this, but the port 25565 is still unreachable according to portchecktool.

Message 5 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Do you have a service running on the server that is listening to port 25565?

These port testing services need to make it more clear that they are end-to-end tests.  If there's nothing at your end to respond to their test, then it can appear that the port is not being forwarded when in fact it is.  Note: Some port testing services can actually listen to the port and respond to requests, provided that you initiate the test on the device that you are port forwarding towards.

It's important to understand that there is a subtle but important distinction when a testing service reports that a port is "closed or rejected" vs "didn't respond".  "Closed or rejected" means the other end actively rejected the connection request.  This usually means that the port is being forwarded.  "Didn't respond" usually means that the router silently blocked the request because the port is not being forwarded.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7