Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow speeds on D7800 X4s vs NBN box after changing ISP

Brad22
Follower

Slow speeds on D7800 X4s vs NBN box after changing ISP

Hi all,

Bit of a noob here so any advice would be appreciated.

I recently switched ISP providers from Superloop to Tangerine here in Australia. I'm on an HFC connection with the NBN. 

I was previously on a 250/40 (or similar upload) plan with my old ISP Superloop which worked totally fine and I would constantly hit 250mbps on speed tests.

I just switched over to Tangerine as a new ISP on a 250/25 plan. I've changed nothing else in my modem settings except to update the username/password for the new ISP which is the only instruction given when setting it up.

The issue I'm having is that every speed test I am doing is failing to hit 100mbps download. No issues with ping or upload but its less than half of what I should be getting on the download speed.

Now, if I plug my ethernet cable directly from my PC into the NBN box, I get the full 250mbps download speed, which makes me think there is some issue with the modem settings. It is stumping me however why I was able to get 250mbps on the same sized plan with a different provider only a couple of days ago using the same modem / ethernet cable / modem settings.

Thanks for reading and sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

Message 1 of 2

Re: Slow speeds on D7800 X4s vs NBN box after changing ISP

@Brad22 wrote:

Now, if I plug my ethernet cable directly from my PC into the NBN box, I get the full 250mbps download speed, which makes me think there is some issue with the modem settings. It is stumping me however why I was able to get 250mbps on the same sized plan with a different provider only a couple of days ago using the same modem / ethernet cable / modem settings.

Your subject says that you have the D7800. That is a DSL modem/router. DSL Internet technology does not do 250 Mbps. VDSL maxes out at about 70 Mbps. Nor does the D7800 work on an HFC connection.

So, what Netgear device do you have? What is this "NBN box?

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

While Netgear's NBN advice does say that the D7800 is compatible most types of Internet, this is when you use it in router modem, bypassing the DSL modem bit. But fr that to work, you probably have to disable the modem bit of your NBN box.

I just switched over to Tangerine as a new ISP on a 250/25 plan. I've changed nothing else in my modem settings except to update the username/password for the new ISP which is the only instruction given when setting it up.

When you switch from one ISP to another, you need to get your equipment to forget any time spent on the old network. For the D7800, or whatever Netgear device you own, that means that you should reset the device and set it up from scratch.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7