Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Traffic meter unreliable

Nippur
Tutor

Traffic meter unreliable

I have been watching the numbers reported by the traffic meter for some time, and they don't look right. The first odd thing is that on the first day of each month, all the numbers reported for "Yesterday" are always zero, even if the router was connected all the time.

Also the numbers reported for "Previous month" are variable from day to day. For example, on January 12th were reported exactly the same numbers I saw on January 6th, while other days I see the same readings reported on January 2nd. What I expect is that every day of January 2018 reports always the same numbers, i.e. the statistics collected during December 2017.

What bothers me the most is that I don't know what kind of "connection" is being measured. I would like the router to measure both the connection time and the amount of data exchanged with the outside world, but it is not doing that. In other words, when I unplug the DSL cable, I expect the connection time and amount of data counters to stop, but they keep running [I guess] because one or more internal devices remain connected to the router.

I have kept a record of all the traffic readings in a Libre Office worksheet. If there is any Netgear developer interested in a copy, this file contains data collected during several weeks, so it could be useful for debugging.

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 3
Nippur
Tutor

Yes, of course. But does the performance degradation explain the wrong numbers?

Message 2 of 3
Nippur
Tutor

To keep an eye on the incoming/outgoing traffic. Several Netgear models have this feature, and if you had a look to these forums, you may notice that some other people are interested in using it.

By the way, somebody took the time to write the software (not very well, I suspect) to implement traffic metering, so why not use it?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7