Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using DM200 in modem only mode witha VDSL connection

brassing
Aspirant

Using DM200 in modem only mode witha VDSL connection

(This is a follow up to my previous post on "using DGN2200v4 with DM200" which is marked as solved but turned out not to be. I am no longer using the DGN2200 hence new topic.)

I am trying use a Netgear DM200 modem with a Netgear R6350 (a router with no modem) on a Plusnet FTTC DSL connection. I can get the DM200 working in modem+router mode both with a PC directly attached to the modem and with a PC attached via the R6350. However when I switch the modem to modem only mode I can get no internet in either arangement.

To diagnose the problem I connected the PC directly to the DM200 with a wired connection. I set the PC to fixed IP of 192.168.5.2 with gateway and DNS of 192.168.5.1. This is necessary as when in modem only mode there is no DHCP. I started with the DM200 in modem+router mode. I can then connect to the DM200 browser interface and see that internet shows as OK. It has an external IP address and the status screen shows as connected. The DSL light on the modem shows solid green. I can get internet on the PC. i.e. everyting works as expected.

I then change the modem to modem only mode. I can still access the modem browser interface. This still shows internet as OK (green tick) and the modem DSL light is still solid green. However there is no internet on the PC and the modem interface shows 0.0.0.0 for the external IP address and the connection status screen shows as disconnected. If I click the connect button nothing happens. It seems the modem drops the connection when you switch to modem only mode. Rebooting the modem whilst in this mode does not help.

I attach screenshot of the modem screens in modem plus router mode. (Can't seem to attach two files so will attach the screens for modem only in a follow up post.)

It seems to me that I need to operate in modem only mode as otherwise you have double NAT and problems with port forwarding.

I am about to give up and return the modem. The supplied Plusnet Hub 1 just about does the job. If anyone has any suggestions though I will have another try. I would be interested to know if anyone has succeeded in getting the DM200 to work in modem only mode with Plusnet VDSL (or any other VDSL service).

Message 1 of 5
brassing
Aspirant

Re: Using DM200 in modem only mode witha VDSL connection

Here are the screens in modem only mode.

Message 2 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] when I switch the modem to modem only mode I can get no internet
> in either arangement.

The "Modem plus router mode" picture shows a PPPoE connection.  I
know nothing, but in modem-only mode, I'd expect the (PC or) router to
need to handle the PPPoE details.  Did you configure this ("Does Your
Internet connection require a login?" on the router)?

Message 3 of 5
brassing
Aspirant

No I didn't. I assumed all the connection settings would be on the modem. Are you saying that PPPoE connection settings are done on the router but PPoA settings are done on the modem?

Message 4 of 5
antinode
Guru

> No I didn't. I assumed all the connection settings would be on the
> modem.

You missed the primary lesson in "Desk Set"???  (Part 4 (...) on
YouTube.  Or, better, see the whole thing somewhere.)

> Are you saying that PPPoE connection settings are done on the router
> but PPoA settings are done on the modem?

I've never had to deal with PPPoE in this context, so, sadly, I don't
know, but it seems (to me) possible, and it should be a pretty easy
experiment to run.  (My ISP (CenturyLink) has always used PPPoA with me,
and I can say with some confidence that an R7000 cannot deal with that.)

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7