Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk x4s d7800 & rax20

dcsherry
Aspirant

nighthawk x4s d7800 & rax20

hi

running x4s d7800 modem router as main router on nbn network.

i added an rax20 via ethernet lan to wan (will not accept lan to lan) i have tried using rax20 in ap & bridge mode, tried various changes to settings but still getting internet dropout,

ive noted when i change lan ip address on rax20 to say 192.168.1.2

(x4s 192.168.0.1) after initially excepting it after dropout when i go to login the rax20 has changed to 10.0.0.1

any solutions please?   

Message 1 of 4

Re: nighthawk x4s d7800 & rax20

@dcsherry wrote:

running x4s d7800 modem router as main router on nbn network.

i added an rax20 via ethernet lan to wan (will not accept lan to lan) i have tried using rax20 in ap & bridge mode, tried various changes to settings but still getting internet dropout,

Not sure what you mean by "bridge mode", that depends on the circumstances. Modem-router in bridge mod is not the same as router in (wireless) bridge mode.

What you needs is AP mode. Then you don't need to try "various changes" on the router because that could undo AP mode.

In AP mode, the router gets its IP address from the router.

ive noted when i change lan ip address on rax20 to say 192.168.1.2

(x4s 192.168.0.1) after initially excepting it after dropout when i go to login the rax20 has changed to 10.0.0.1

That suggests that the RAX20 is in router mode. It picked that address to avoid conflicts with the modem/router.

When you put a router into AP mode, you need to restart the whole network so that things get allocated the right IP addresses.

How do I change my NETGEAR router to AP mode? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But then you hit this:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

If possible, it might be better to put the D7800 int modem only (bridge) mode and use the RAX20 as a router.

For more help with the RAX20 you might do better in the appropriate section:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

DSL modems are here:

DSL Modems & Routers

Message 2 of 4
dcsherry
Aspirant

hi thanks for your time

by ap & bridge mode i meant as in device, not wireless (i wired most of my devices ie ethernet lan)

i should point out its the rax20 as the secondary router i tried in either mode but still had (i assume) NAT problems.

i tried putting my d7800 in modem only mode but for some stupid reason internet is not available as it shuts out all menu options & it disconnected itself. seems wierd but assume it only works if you have an NBN box which connects through the ïntenet" port (red) instead of phone line.

regards

Message 3 of 4

@dcsherry wrote:

i tried putting my d7800 in modem only mode but for some stupid reason internet is not available as it shuts out all menu options & it disconnected itself. seems wierd but assume it only works if you have an NBN box which connects through the ïntenet" port (red) instead of phone line.

It should work in modem only mode, but I have no idea what that NBN box does.

This wondrous Australian invention seems to cause more than its fair share of grief. People turn up here all the time with different problems, not helped by the fact that different ISPs tweak the settings for their own purposes. For example, some of them recently tweaked the DSL security settings, thus rendering some modems useless.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – NBN SOS

If you are one of those, beware this:

Which NETGEAR DSL modem routers support NBN FTTN and FTTB SOS, ROC, and SRA standards? | Answer | NE...

This is a good place to seek local help:

Whirlpool Forums

Did you try this?

Search - NETGEAR Communities – NBN d7800

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7