Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1200/D6220 NBN FTTC setup

Rhys0792
Follower

AC1200/D6220 NBN FTTC setup

I have the ac1200 wifi VDSL2/ADSL2+ modem router (d6220) I have just gotten nbn. Previously this unit worked great on my adsl connection with belong. Now that I have gone over to NBN FTTC with belong I cannot get the internet to connect. What am I doing wrong? The nbn box says that it’s connected and when I connect the Ethernet cord from the nbn box to this unit it doesn’t connect to the internet. Very frustrating. I’m hoping I am not alone and there is an easy fix! Please help!
Message 1 of 5
antinode
Guru

> [...] Previously this unit worked great on my adsl connection [...]

> [...] when I connect the Ethernet cord from the nbn box to this unit
> [...]

One possibility might be that it's still configured to use your old
DSL connection, not your new Ethernet connection.

> [...] Very frustrating. [...]

"frustrating" enough to drive to to consult the product
documentation?  Apparently not.  Visit http://netgear.com/support , put
in your (actual) model number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User
Manual.  Read?

> [...] The nbn box [...]

Not a very detailed description of that device.

> [...] says that it's connected [...]

"connected" to what?  How, exactly, does it "say" that?

Message 2 of 5

@Rhys0792 wrote:
Now that I have gone over to NBN FTTC with belong I cannot get the internet to connect.

I'd check this:

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

While Netgear lists all manner of things as being "compatible" with NBN in that article, in reality this often means that the device will work as a router. You have to bypass the modem bit and use something else as a modem.

The bit about FTTP on that KnowledgeBase piece is a clue. After a list including your device, the D6220, it says you can use it "or one of our home routers". To me, this says that the D6220 is no good as a modem.

If your ISP supplied you with a modem, then you can use that and the D6220 as a router. If the new modem is also a router that raises other issues. But you can deal with that later.

Message 3 of 5
BIllyGoatDog
Initiate

Hi Rhys,

I'm using this router for my FTTC connection as well. 

You need to ensure you plug the ethernet cable from your NBN box to the WAN port of the router and change the advanced settings for the WAN connection to 'must use ethernet LAN'.

Follow this guide. Remember, you will also need to check with your ISP for their specific PPOE settings

https://kb.netgear.com/29325/How-to-change-D6220-D7000-s-WAN-Preference 

Message 4 of 5

Nice to have real world "been there, done that" experience from someone. Thanks for the feedback.

@BIllyGoatDog wrote:

You need to ensure you plug the ethernet cable from your NBN box to the WAN port of the router and change the advanced settings for the WAN connection to 'must use ethernet LAN'.

This confirms that the D6220 is not good as a modem but is fine as a router.

So Netgear is correct, almost, in saying that the D6220 is compatible with this type of NBN. But only as a router.

Anyone who wants to buy a router for this type of NBN should steer clear of modem/routers like the D6220. Just buy a router.

But if you already own one of these, then save money by doing as @BIllyGoatDog describes.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7