Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1600 WiFi ADSL Modem Router Will Not Connect

CenterT
Aspirant

AC1600 WiFi ADSL Modem Router Will Not Connect

Due to the fact that the area our office is located in only has one internet provider (and AT&T is garbage), we only have DSL and one of the few ways to improve our connection and speed is to replace the subpar equipment they give us. We recently replaced our router with a Linksys EA9300, and that has worked well for us.

However, when the modem needed replacing, the AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router was the only one I was able to find that was both compatible and not used (I have been sent a cable modem before, claiming it was compatible, and had to send it back). However, when I connect everything it still refuses to give us an internet connection. I have gone through the help articles, but those are either for compeletely different equipment, or the fixes themselves require the modem router to be connected to the internet (please stop telling me to update the firmware and then tellling me to fix the connection so that you can update the firmware).

The machine is on and the lights are steady as the instructions note they should be. Yet, every time it asks for a username and password ("admin", "password"), it won't accept it. I've tried resetting the machine with the button on the back multiple times. I've tried using other usernames and passwords associated with the computer I am on, the router, the WiFi network name and key on the new modem, and the same information on the old modem, but it doesn't accept any of them. This is basically our last option as far as eqipment goes, as it seems that companies no longer make DSL modems. I can't really send this one back and just get another one.

Notes:

-This was to replace an ADSL2+ modem router from AT&T

-We only need it to act as a modem

-We get our internet through our phone line; Cable modems will not work for us

-Fixes that first require an internet connection are not helpful

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: AC1600 WiFi ADSL Modem Router Will Not Connect

> AC1600 WiFi ADSL Modem Router [...]

The actual model number from the product label would be more helpful
than the marketing material from the box.

> Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band
> Gigabit

Is that accurate?

> [...] DSL and one of the few ways to improve our connection and speed
> is to replace the subpar equipment they give us.

What, specifically, was the "subpar" DSL modem which they gave you?

> [...] when I connect everything it still refuses to give us an
> internet connection. [...]

"connect everything" how, exactly?  A DSL connection may need some
configuration beyond simply connecting things.

> [...] I have gone through the help articles, [...]

Thanks for the helpful links.  With my weak psychic powers, I can't
guess what you read. or what you did, or what happened when you did it.

> The machine is on [...]

"The machine" being the D6400(?)?

> [...] and the lights are steady as the instructions note they should
> be.

Which "the instructions"?  Simply describing which LED does what
would be much more helpful.  Which color is "steady"?  "steady" on or
"steady" off?

If you don't already have the User Manual, then visit
http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for the LED descriptions.
Further reading might also be helpful.

> [...] every time it asks for a username and password ("admin",
> "password"), it won't accept it. [...]

Are you using some web browser or other, on some computer/device or
other, connected to the "AC1600 WiFi ADSL Modem Router" somehow or
other?  Or what?

> [...] I've tried resetting the machine with the button on the back
> multiple times. [...]

"tried" how, exactly?  See "Factory Settings" in the User Manual.
Did you hold the Reset button down long enough for it to be effective?
Did the LED indicators do interesting things?  If so, then the "admin"
password should have been reset to "password".  If not, then you might
try again, with no data lines connected to the modem+router.

> [...] I've tried using other usernames [...]

Sounds mostly like a waste of time.  See "Types of Logins" in the
User Manual.

> -This was to replace an ADSL2+ modem router from AT&T

What was that device?  How was its DSL interface configured?  AT&T
U-verse, or some other AT&T DSL service?

> -We only need it to act as a modem

That should be possible.  (In most cases, at least.  If your DSL
connection uses PPPoA, or it's AT&T U-verse, then perhaps not.)  See
"Configure the Modem Router as a DSL Modem Only" in the User Manual.
But it might be easiest to get the DSL stuff configured properly before
making that mode change.

Message 2 of 4
CenterT
Aspirant

Thanks for your "mastery" at nothing, but the point of this post wasn't for you to display your bad attitude. Next time, if you have nothing helpful to say in a help forum, resist the urge to push that reply button.

Message 3 of 4

@CenterT wrote:

Due to the fact that the area our office is located in only has one internet provider (and AT&T is garbage), we only have DSL and one of the few ways to improve our connection and speed is to replace the subpar equipment they give us. We recently replaced our router with a Linksys EA9300, and that has worked well for us.

Unfortunately, it isn't clear to me exactly what you have done at your end. It might help to boil this saga down to basics. 

You have a DSL service and want to replace the modem. But you already have a Linksys router.

If it was the D6400 mentioned in your footer that you bought, then that is a modem/router. You may have to make various tweaks to get it to work with the Linksys router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1. This could explain why you have had a hard time trying to set this up.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.

The D6400 has the option to put it into modem only mode. But when I did that I ran into a problem. If the power ever went down, the D6400 took so long to reboot that the router further down the line had beaten it to it and had tried to establish an internet connection before the modem was ready.

My solution was to get a modem only device, the DM200. That boots more quickly and the "stranded router" phenomenon went away.

This may be the cause of your problem:

when I connect everything it still refuses to give us an internet connection

You don't want everything connected at the setup stage.

If you do want to put the D6400 into modem only mode, do it without connecting the router. I found it easiest to connect the D6400 to a PC and then to use the browser graphical user interface (GUI) to get into the controls. (Remember, modem routers have 192.168.0.1 as the default IP address.)

Then use the GUI go through the steps needed to get the D6400 into modem only mode.You can then connect to the internet with the same PC-LAN arrangement to check that the modem is doing its stuff. While you are at it, check for firmware updates. It is a pain to have to do that later, because getting into the GUI for the D6400 means going through this faff all over again.

After you have done that, you can bring the router and rest of the network into play. For that to work, you need to restart the whole network in the required order:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

Then you can set up the existing router to connect to the internet.

There is support for the D6400, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> D6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

If it isn't too late, I'd swap the D6400 for a basic DSL modem. The DM200 is a lot cheaper than a D6400.

Apologies for going on at length. But this is a complicated process, and one that I know only too well. Been there, done that, got the scars.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7