Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AC1600 with Netgear Genie, Can't stop speed test

selbyguy
Aspirant

AC1600 with Netgear Genie, Can't stop speed test

Started speed test in Genie and it runs continously.  How can I stop it?

Message 1 of 10

You refer to the genie. This could be one of several things, the browser interface, a Windows or Mac program for a PC, or a mobile Android/iThing app. Netgear labels them all as genies. Which are you using?

AC1600 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Take us through the moves you make and describe what is happening. Then someone might understand what is going on.

Message 2 of 10
selbyguy
Aspirant

Modem Router is Netgear AC1600 WiFi Cable Modem Router 802.11 ac Dual Band Gigabit with Built-in DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Model C6250 for Spectrum.

Netgear Genie is an installed program from Netgear. Version 2.4.62.  In the center-right of the Genie screen (when it is open) there is a small grey box labelled "Speed Test" followed by "or go to http://www.speedtest.net".

I clicked on the Speed Test box and it has been running the speed test continuously since that moment.  That is more than a day now.  I have shut down the Netgear unit (power off) for some time (overnight) and when powered up again it goes right on with the speed test.

This is on a PC running Microsoft 10 OS.  How can I stop it??  Screen shot attached.

Model: Dual Band
Message 3 of 10

@selbyguy wrote:

This is on a PC running Microsoft 10 OS.  How can I stop it??  Screen shot attached.

Take your pick.

• Go to a different tab in the genie (Home would be a start)
  • Uncheck the Download and Upload boxes on that page
  • Exit the desktop genie from the notification area.
  • Disable Autostart in the notification area.

Message 4 of 10
selbyguy
Aspirant

Possibly good suggestions, BUT - In the Home screen there is no access to the Download and Upload boxes so can’t uncheck them there.  I can’t exit or disable AutoStart in the Notification Area since there is nothing labeled that way and otherwise I have no idea what area you are referring to.  By the way, it is still running – and running – and running – and running - - - -

Message 5 of 10

@selbyguy wrote:

BUT - In the Home screen there is no access to the Download and Upload boxes so can’t uncheck them there. 

Those boxes are on the screen that you originally posted.

Forget the HOME tab.

Desktopgeniespeedtest.jpg

@selbyguy wrote:

I can’t exit or disable AutoStart in the Notification Area since there is nothing labeled that way

That is seriously strange. Where are you looking?

It is there visible for me. Along with the other things. 

Genie notification areaGenie notification area

You do know what the notification area/Taskbar is? And how to enable/disable icons there?

I am beginning to think that this speedtest is not running at all. You just see it when you land on the right/wrong place. You won't see it on the HOME tab because it isn't active.

Message 6 of 10
selbyguy
Aspirant

Boy, you have me confused.  You tell me that the boxes to uncheck are right there in plain sight, BUT you indicate that I will find them in the "Home" tab.  Please note that the ones in my screenshot are NOT in the Home tab, but in the "Internet" tab.  When I uncheck them in the one screen where they are present, it does not stop the speed test.  It hides the display, but the speed test goes on.  You can see it go on if you look at the up and down arrows with xxMbps at the lower edge of the speed display, and when you again check the boxes you can again see it going in on the graph and still moving steadily to the left on the screen.

Message 7 of 10
selbyguy
Aspirant

And I have inspected the screens shown by every one of the labels in the left taskbar and nowhere does it show anything like the "Genie Notification Area" that you have included in your message.  I suspect you and I are looking at very different versions of the Genie program.

Message 8 of 10

No, I have the same version. I checked.

There is no genie notification area. As my image showed, it is the Windows notification area. I never said the boxes were on the Home tab. That was you. My image showed where to look. The Internet tab. 

It is becoming increasingly clear to me that you really don't have a problem with the genie, just with your understanding of how it, and Windows, work. 

Message 9 of 10

@selbyguy wrote:

You tell me that the boxes to uncheck are right there in plain sight, BUT you indicate that I will find them in the "Home" tab.

Where did you get that idea from? Read my message again. Look for the bit that said:

Forget the HOME tab.

How can read that to mean that you should look at the Home tab?

Puzzling.

@selbyguy wrote:

When I uncheck them in the one screen where they are present, it does not stop the speed test.  It hides the display, but the speed test goes on. 

You have got this all wrong. Those bars have nothing to do with speed test. They show the traffic in and out of your router.

Speedtest is something very different. It is what happens when you press the Speed Test button. Press that and the genie goes out and measures the speed between you and www.netgear.com. (You can try different addresses.) Then it fills in the next line. Below that address.

This is a one-off event. (Watch as the button "greys out".) It is not related to the bar chart. Speedtest is not running all the time.

@selbyguy wrote:

You can see it go on if you look at the up and down arrows with xxMbps at the lower edge of the speed display, and when you again check the boxes you can again see it going in on the graph and still moving steadily to the left on the screen.

That is not a speedtest. It is a measure of your traffic in and out.The only way to stop that is to exit from the genie, as already explained, or stop using the Internet.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7