Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Accessing D6400 in modem only mode

TheoJones
Tutor

Accessing D6400 in modem only mode

I have a D6400 configured on BT Infinity (VDSL Service in the UK) - I have put the device into modem only mode, as I prefer to use pfSense for my firewall needs.

There is good documentation on the Netgear DM200 which explans which IP address to use to access the GUI once in "modem only mode", but there doesn't seem to be any equivelant docs for the D6400.

I would like to access the GUI of the modem, so that I can pull back and display VDSL statistics in the pfsense dashboard.

The question;

What IP address is used for the GUI when a D6400 is placed into modem only mode?

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
TheoJones
Tutor

For anyone coming along after me, I found the answer.

The D6400 retains the previously configured IP address from when it was in Router mode.

In my case, this was 192.168.10.1 - which no amount of trickery would make work as it is the same as the "internal" range now.

Steps which worked for me;

1. Connect laptop directly to D6400
  2. log into admin panel using "old" address. You cannot configure the LAN IP address in this mode, so;
  3. Set D6400 into Router mode (reboot)
  4. Configure LAN IP address to new value (reboot)
  5. Set D6400 back into modem mode. (reboot)

The D6400 now has the "new" Ip address, and can be accessed from inside the pfsense firewall.

Not great, not terrible.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
TheoJones
Tutor

For anyone coming along after me, I found the answer.

The D6400 retains the previously configured IP address from when it was in Router mode.

In my case, this was 192.168.10.1 - which no amount of trickery would make work as it is the same as the "internal" range now.

Steps which worked for me;

1. Connect laptop directly to D6400
  2. log into admin panel using "old" address. You cannot configure the LAN IP address in this mode, so;
  3. Set D6400 into Router mode (reboot)
  4. Configure LAN IP address to new value (reboot)
  5. Set D6400 back into modem mode. (reboot)

The D6400 now has the "new" Ip address, and can be accessed from inside the pfsense firewall.

Not great, not terrible.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7