Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding a repeater to a DGND3700

mogulza
Follower

Adding a repeater to a DGND3700

I have a DGND3700 ... everything is working fine using 2.4G and 5G channels up to 300MB both with WPA2-PSK (AES).

I am now trying to configure a 3rd party wireless broadband router as a repeater to the DGND3700. No success !!

1. Is there ANYTHING I need to change in the DGND3700 configuration to allow this to work?

2. The DGND3700 is configured as 192.168.0.1 with DHCP enabled from 192.168.0.2 thru 192.168.0.99. I have configured the 3rd party router with IP address 192.168.0.101 and enabled it's DHCP from 192.168.0.102 thru 199. Is this correct?

3. What gateway should be configured for use by the repeater's DHCP clients? 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.101 ?

4. Anything else I need to know?

For those who are interested, I am trying to configure a Planet Technologies WNRT-627 802.11n Wireless Broadband Router as the repeater.

Regards
Mike
Message 1 of 20
theTechman05
Aspirant

Maybe you should change it so just the dgnd3700 is th dhcp host. You still have to point to the gateway ip address of the host router , though I cannot find the gateway setting at this moment just in case you were doing this a different way.
Message 2 of 20
Scubbie
Apprentice

Due to licensing issues, if you want to use the repeater function on any Netgear router, you will need to limit the WiFi to either WEP @54mb/s or disable the encryption.

Your 3rd party router may be able to work with suitable firmware, perhaps custom firmware.

The alternative method would be to link the two using a long Ethernet cable or a pair of HomePlugs. Essentially you can then disable the DHCP on the 2nd router and configure the WiFi to use a different channel. You can configure both routers to use the same SSID and security details. This would allow you to seamlessly move between the two routers and the traffic on each shouldn't interfere with each other.
Message 3 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

with above said, get extender wn2500rpt, wn2000rpt
Message 4 of 20
WebbCMH
Aspirant

Hi Scubbie and everyone else on this topic. I am trying to do just that - connect two Netgear Routers with a LAN.
I have a DGND3700 which is transmitting both 2.8g & 5g networks and 2.8g & 5g guest networks. Also it is lan connected into a netgear powerline with a XAVN2001 wireless access point in a room in the house a long way from the router. Then I also have a WN3000RP to boost the 2.4g signal outside the building to another building close by.
I have a third building where I need to get internet access via wifi working within the next 48 hours but it is a Brick Tower Windmill with 3 feet thick walls built in 1836.
So I have purchased 60 metres of LAN Cable and a DGND3400 to place inside the Windmill. I don't need the 3400 to transmit the same network SSID as the 3700 nor to transmit in both 2.4G & 5G. (If it can do both then fine but if not 2.4G is perfectly good) So if I link the two together what are the settings I need to use in the 3400 and the 3700 so that it connects to the internet via the 3700?
Sorry for such a long winded explanation but I look forward to any answers from anyone.....
Message 5 of 20
Scubbie
Apprentice

Please read through this article to see what you need to do:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
Message 6 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

follow above URL and change the SSID to your needs.
Message 7 of 20
peterdanckwerts
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
Due to licensing issues, if you want to use the repeater function on any Netgear router, you will need to limit the WiFi to either WEP @54mb/s or disable the encryption.

Your 3rd party router may be able to work with suitable firmware, perhaps custom firmware.

The alternative method would be to link the two using a long Ethernet cable or a pair of HomePlugs. Essentially you can then disable the DHCP on the 2nd router and configure the WiFi to use a different channel. You can configure both routers to use the same SSID and security details. This would allow you to seamlessly move between the two routers and the traffic on each shouldn't interfere with each other.

This is an absurd restriction. Frankly, I don't think you should be selling a product which forces users to operate a completely unsafe wireless network. It looks as though I'll have to turn off my new DGND3700v2's wireless router and attach a separate router which allows WPA2 with a repeater. To add insult to injury, I didn't need to use a repeater with my previous modem and router but if I use my old router with the DGND3700v2 the SNR is dreadful. I feel I've been sold a pup, and a quite expensive one at that.
Message 8 of 20
Scubbie
Apprentice

Welcome to the forum Peter.

Firstly it isn't me who is selling the router. I don't work for Netgear. Sadly Netgear's staff do not actively contribute a great deal to this forum.

Yes the licensing isn't a good as it does restrict this feature. Netgear does however produce Wireless repeaters which should be able to connect using WPA2.

Personally I would encourage people to use a wired connection since there is normally less data loss this way.
Message 9 of 20
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Using extender is way better in performance too.

WDS issues with WEP are something manufacture came up with. WiFi alliance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_distribution_system
Message 10 of 20
peterdanckwerts
Aspirant

Scubbie wrote:
Welcome to the forum Peter.

Firstly it isn't me who is selling the router. I don't work for Netgear. Sadly Netgear's staff do not actively contribute a great deal to this forum.

Yes the licensing isn't a good as it does restrict this feature. Netgear does however produce Wireless repeaters which should be able to connect using WPA2.

Personally I would encourage people to use a wired connection since there is normally less data loss this way.

Sorry, I misread your description! As far as I can see, it doesn't help that Netgear's repeaters support WPA2 if their router doesn't. Yes, a wired connection would be better but I don't think my wife would stand for it (I'm not very good at that sort of thing and it would look a mess)! Anyway, it's a pain buying a modem/router and finding that the router doesn't really do the job. I needed a new modem in a hurry and my only local shop didn't have any stand-alone modems.
Message 11 of 20
peterdanckwerts
Aspirant

Since I happen to have 2 Airport Extremes lying idle, I think the answer for me is to turn of the router part of the Netgear, attach one Airport to it and use the second as a repeater. Unlike the DGND3700, they will repeat with WPA2.
Message 12 of 20
Scubbie
Apprentice

With Netgear router to Netgear router you are unable to use WPA2 with the WiFi repeater option.

With a dedicated WiFi Extender, you can use WPA2 to any router.

The difference is down to the licensing agreements and the method of connections.

However, for the power user, repeating the content via over the WiFi will seriously reduce your throughput. Do not consider this option for heavy downloads or gaming. Video could also struggle.
Message 13 of 20
peterdanckwerts
Aspirant

Thanks. The SNR's so bad since I got the Netgear that I can't believe the throughput can get much worse. I've had to turn my internet radio to DAB because it keeps cutting out.
Message 14 of 20
wippet
Aspirant

Could I please ask one question.

I've read the article that Scubbie has linked too, about extending the network, and I believe that I have everything done correctly.
The issue I'm having though: is that I can't access the computer that's connected to the access point, when I'm connected to the main Modem/Router - via WiFi.

My setup is:
-DGND3700v2 (192.168.2.1) Modem/Router in office at one end of house. PC/Printer via Ethernet to this.
- Ethernet under house to other end. A brand new AC router (192.168.2.50) has been set up as an access point and is connected to my MediaPC and Amplifier.

A/P has DHCP disabled.
Now it all works because if I turn on the office PC, I can access the MediaPC no problems (all connected via lan).
If I connect my laptop via LAN to the DGND3700 in the office, I can access the MediaPC. If I disconnect LAN and use WiFi to the DGND3700, I'm unable to access the MediaPC!

So is there something in the modem/router, or something with WiFi, that would prevent me from being able to access the MediaPC? I believe it is the modem/router, as I can connect to the A/P with my iPhone, and use the controlling app for my Amplifier. If I connect my iPhone to the Modem/Router, I can't access the Amplifier (have also tried manually with the IP address 192.168.2.2 that it's currently on).

The MediaPC is on a static IP of 192.168.2.40
Amplifier is set to DHCP mode.

I can't access the A/P (192.168.2.50) when connected to the Modem/Router via WiFi, but can access both networks when connected to the A/P.

Modem/Router has WPA2 (AES) security, AC router as A/P has WPA2-PSK. Both have separate network names, same password, different channels. AC Router is set to 20/40Mhz network speed.

Netgear Modem/Router has RIP Direction to Both, RIP version to Disabled.

Seems like a tricky question for someone! I'm pretty good with networks, but this one is beyond me.
Message 15 of 20
wippet
Aspirant

Oh my god I just did a restart on my A/P and now it all works - Sorry...
Message 16 of 20
Scubbie
Apprentice

wippet wrote:
Oh my god I just did a restart on my A/P and now it all works - Sorry...

Phew! :cool:

Glad to see it all works fine.

Just a quick note, I did find that I had to disable UPnP on my WNDR3800 for it to work better.
Message 17 of 20
13eastie
Star

I've just purchased a second wi-fi router to improve the wireless performance upstairs at my home and have encountered a similar issue with the limitation of the only encrypted config being 54 Mbps using WEP.

I used the web config tools on the two devices to set up the "Wireless Repeating Function" (my original router as base-station, the new one as repeater) and eventually I ended up as depicted below:

DGND3700v2–––––+---2.4 GHz  54 Mbps   Ch 1    SSID1   WEP
            Repeater
                |
                |
                |Cat5e
                |
                |          +---2.4 GHz  54 Mbps   Ch 1    SSID1   WEP
BT ADSL–––––DGND3700–––––––+---5.0 GHz  300 Mbps  Ch 36   SSID2   WPA2-PSK
            Base Station
            DHCP Server

If I've understood Scubbie's reply correctly, am I to understand that, in order to achieve my aims of:

• Maximimising wi-fi speed i.e. 300 Mbps
  • Using WPA2-PSK throughout my wi-fi
  • Using the same SSID and security settings throughout the house
  • Enjoying Gigabit Ethernet upstairs and downstairs

I should:

1. Switch OFF the Wireless Repeating Function
  2. Retain the Cat5e cable between two LAN ports on the routers
  3. Disable the DHCP server on the upstairs router
  4. Enable wifi on the upstairs router with the same SSID's and passphrases as downstairs, but on differing channels (e.g. 11 for 2.4 Ghz and 44 for 5 Ghz)?

I'd be very grateful if someone might confirm this for me before I try it.

Many thanks.

Message 18 of 20
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello 13eastie

what you said is correct but most modern modems have Access point mode you will want to look for that on the new router but if it does not have that type of function then yes you will want to disable the DHCP on it.

DarrenM

Message 19 of 20
13eastie
Star

Thanks - this is now working very nicely

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation