Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advice needed - looking for a DSL router that is able to block specific outgoing traffic

dpw818
Aspirant

Advice needed - looking for a DSL router that is able to block specific outgoing traffic

Hello,

I currently have DSL in my home, and a netgear router that serves both modem and router functions.  This router is extremely old and I need to replace it.  I wrote to Netgear sales but never heard back.

Ideally, I'd like the router to be able to serve as the DSL connection, so that I don't have two devices.  I believe most can do this.

But extremely important for me is the ability to block outgoing traffic for, ideally, certain devices on the LAN.  I'll explain: I have purchased some IP security cameras.  I would like to set these up, but I am concerned that they transmit data back to their country of manufacture.  Given this, I would like to be able to restrict their rouching outbound beyond the LAN.

I still do need to be able to allow them to have full LAN access, since they will write to a LAN storage device.  I don't need to access these cameras when I am outside of the LAN, because 1) I can simply view the saved recordings on the storage devices where these cameras store the data, and 2) if I ever do need to access them remotely, I can log in to a locally connected machine, and from there access these cameras on the LAN.

So long story short, is anyone able to recommend me a Netgear DSL modem + router that has this cabability to restrict outbound traffic, ideally of specific LAN-connected devices?  Even if it's a setting to just turn off / on all outbound traffic for a particular connected device, that is better than nothing.

Thanks a ton, I very much appreciate any guidance!

Message 1 of 3
antinode
Guru

Re: Advice needed - looking for a DSL router that is able to block specific outgoing traffic

> I currently have DSL in my home, [...]

Not much meat on that bone.  ISP?  Service type (ADSL, VDSL)?  PPPoA
or PPPoE?

> [...] a netgear router [...]

Modem+router?  Has it a model number?  Look for "Model" on the
product label.

> [...] I believe most can do this.

A DSL modem+router can serve as a modem and router.

> [...] I would like to be able to restrict their rouching outbound
> beyond the LAN.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in the model number of almost
any DSL modem+router or plain-old router, and look for Documentation.
Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for "Block Services".

Netgear seems to have lost interest in DSL, and its recent Dxxxx
models seem to me to be sufficiently bug-ridden that I would not
recommend them.

If your current (unspecified) "a netgear router" has a modem-only
mode, then you might be able to use it that way with any router (Netgear
or other), which might offer the feature which you seek.

Message 2 of 3
dpw818
Aspirant

Re: Advice needed - looking for a DSL router that is able to block specific outgoing traffic

Thanks for the reply an the suggestion of reviewing all model documentation.  I guess I could have read the features of every Netgear product rather than posting my question, but I figured I would ask here first in case someone had the knowledge, so as to save me some time; that also assumes that it's in the documentation.  It's only been a few days, so maybe someone who does know will post.  In the meantime, I'll get started.

Regarding what modem I have - I have absolutely no clue.  It's in a house that's 1,200 miles away from where I am right now .  I have to replace the modem, which is about 15 years old, and I am certain it doesn't have this IP blocking feature.  It's an ADSL modem, so the model I'm looking to replace it with should also be ADSL. I see why you had asked about the PPOA/E & ISP; I still have the original DSL modem, so can use that to connect if need be.  My line or service has never been upgraded since I subscribed; we're at like 1.5mbps/786 (or less?) kbps - it's seriously slow.  There's nothing we can do about it, since we are in the middle of the mountains and they won't make any line investments.

I'll start to look over the documentation.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7