Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Allowing an IP so that it's NOT logged as a DoS attack

JohnMcI
Aspirant

Allowing an IP so that it's NOT logged as a DoS attack

To be clear - I know that all those "DoS attack" lines in the log file almost always mean that there's not an attack going on. 

Here's my issue:

I work in a small office with 10 or so computers that make use of on online backup service that operates continuously so that file changes are immediately backed up.

The router interprets all the traffic to the backup service as DoS attacks. The log is filled 3 and 4 times a day with these "attacks". AND I've got a boss that likes to see these logs, wide-eyed at the overwhelming number of "attacks". 

I just want to ignore the backup service IP address (so that it's not logged) but the router admin interface doesn't have a firewall setting so that i can specifically allow it. What (if any) setting do I use?

John

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions

Re: Allowing an IP so that it's NOT logged as a DoS attack

My modem/router allows me to change the events that the log records.

>> Advanced >> Administration >> Logs

Will the boss let you tweak that?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies

My modem/router allows me to change the events that the log records.

>> Advanced >> Administration >> Logs

Will the boss let you tweak that?
Message 2 of 3
JohnMcI
Aspirant

Thanks for reminding me of this!

I was aware of this when I first started looking for solutions. But I rejected it 'cause I couldn't whitelist a specific IP - I had to set the log to not record any DoS attacks.

Ideally, I want the logs to record DoS attacks - just not the backup service. Still looking for that solution.

However...absent a targeted fix, this is definitely a solid second choice. Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7