Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Anyone Get DM200 Modem Control Panel Access to work in Modem Only mode?

JakeD
Aspirant

Anyone Get DM200 Modem Control Panel Access to work in Modem Only mode?

DM200-100NAS

I just purchased this modem to replace a failed Centurylink C1000A modem.  Along with this I bought an Asus AC1900P WI-FI Router.  I have both working after many hours of configuring, resets and trial and error.

DM200 is set to Modem Only or Bridged mode.  In this mode connecting the computer ethernet cable into the modem I no longer have access to the internet or am able to connect to the control panel.  The new IP is suppose to be 192.168.5.1.  This is the same IP that the router uses or wants to use.  I was able to change the IP on the router but everytime I try to access this IP the 5.1 I get an error via the router saying this is not a valid IP Address.   I reset the modem and the router and changed IP's and tryed various configurations but once the DM200 is in Modem Only mode I lose ALL access to it's control panel.  

The modem is working, I have internet access via the router. Connecting directly to the modem with the computer and no internet access, put the router back in and Internet access again.

So then the only way to actually go back into the control panel of the DM200 is to reset the factory settings?   This is rather hokey to me.

I saved out settings for the modem so all I have to do after resetting factory settings is to load the saved configuration but it seems rather a poor way to operate the modem.  Is it possible I have a bad modem or is this the way they work? 

Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hell JakeD

You may want to contact support for this issue if you believe something is wrong with the modem.

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

Don't bother calling support. Return it and get a different brand. Read my posts. The DM 200 and NG support of it sucks c.
Message 3 of 9
JakeD
Aspirant

I exchanged it for same model, but apparently that is how these work. New one works identical.   

I looked but there is no modem only options for DSL at BestBuy here, only other option is to get a two in one modem router combo.

Message 4 of 9
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

if you have ADSL only, then go with the Zyzel P660. Can find it on Walmart online About $30. I returnedt the DM200 and use a P660 without problems at all.

BTW even if you get the DM200 working and can get Internet with it, you will find that if you have devices which you need to access from outside your network such as IOT devices, the DM200 will not let you access. IMO thats why its important to return the s   hit.  Dont listen to support here as they have never used most of the producst they opine on. They have no clue and neither does call in support who read from scripts. You read all the threads on this board about the DM200 and on Amazon and the complaints re the same. I wasted 4 weesk of my time d icking around with NG incompetence before I shipped that s hit back for a refund.

Message 5 of 9
JakeD
Aspirant

Not sure what you mean by accessing outside your network. I have a wifi router and everything connects to that. Guy at bestbuy that has same setup showed me on his phone how he was connected to his home media library from his work. Seemed to be working for him.

I do not plan to be doing that myself but if that modem you like better works and it is just 30 bucks then I can get that later if I want or need it. By then my return time will have elapsed even if I had to order it I would be out of internet the time between now and then. Since it is not that much I don't see an issue with having both if i need it.

I don't really see any need to get into the DM200 modem since I setup the correct settings before changing it over to modem only and the wi-fi router takes over the rest of the work.  From a purely speed perspective I see no lag or decrease between the modem and the computer I am on via the router. Same speed test scores, same speed of web pages and streaming media. My internet speed is SLOW because of my area is not upgraded to fiber, is still copper wire. At that time THIS modem would not work anyway because it is not for that type of connection.  Overall the price with extended replacement warranty is still less than the refurbished modem router Centurylink sells.

Message 6 of 9
JakeD
Aspirant

A side note.. Was on call to Centurylink Tech Support..   Tip: Tell them you want to talk to someone ON SHORE..  gets you out of india hell..

She told me that she could not see my internet connection when she was running her tests.  That is a plus with this setup, no?   LOL

Message 7 of 9
martinhj
Apprentice

Remember once you had setup the DM200 in modem mode it isnt going to give your laptop any IP address settings. To get access to the modem control panel you will need to plug your laptop into the modem via the ethernet cable AND setup your IP adress and netmask of your laptop and then you should be able to access the modem control panel

Message 8 of 9
cdavisuk
Aspirant

martinhj is correct.  Once you change the device mode to Modem only, the only way to access the administration UI is by manually setting your computer's IPv4 address to a value in the range 192.168.5.2 - 192.168.5.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.  You also have to physically connect your computer to the LAN port on the modem or to a switch that is connected between the LAN port of the modem and the WAN port of your router (your router will not route IP packets to the modem).  In my case, the LAN port of the modem is connected to a Powerline adapter, so I can also connect to the administration interface by connecting to another Powerline adapter.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7