Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Apple devices failing to connect to D7000v2

EdCro
Tutor

Apple devices failing to connect to D7000v2

So my roommate uses all apple devcices and while I have had no issues personally with my router, all three of his ios devices fail to connect to the 5Ghz band on the network. The few times we can get his devices to connect are immediately after a factory reset and set up, generally the next day it's back to only being able to access the 2.4 Ghz band. I cannot for the life of me work out why this would be.

At time of writing:

Netgear Nighthawk D7000v2

IP & DNS are set to AUTOMATIC

NAT: On (Secure) [Should this be set to open?]

MAC Address: Default

5Ghz band set to 157, only a couple of other networks nearby and not strong signals

WMM Enabled

Wireless AP OFF

UPnP: OFF

IPv6: OFF [But will be turning to Auto later to test this. [Had forgotten to turn on after recent reset.]

in Australia, so NBN FTTC through provided connection device

As router is the only router in the network it is set to be used as the DHCP server [Is this a conflict issue between my router and the provided device?]

Any help is appreciated, and I'll attempt to address any questions as accurately as I can.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 10
EdCro
Tutor

Re: Apple devices failing to connect to D7000v2

I'll add that a measly three months of product support is unacceptable, then asking instead for me to pay AS MUCH AS I DID FOR THE PRODUCT IN THE FIRST PLACE for a YEAR of support that i might use once or twice. This is downright disgusting, and I'll be switching router manufacturer in the future.

Message 2 of 10

@EdCro wrote:

I'll add that a measly three months of product support is unacceptable

Sadly, that seems to be industry standard.

@EdCro wrote:

I'then asking instead for me to pay AS MUCH AS I DID FOR THE PRODUCT IN THE FIRST PLACE for a YEAR of support that i might use once or twice.

This place is free.

Have you checked how other makers work? Many don't even have places as active as this for help.

As to your main question, the problem would appear to be with the Apple products.

Message 3 of 10
EdCro
Tutor

Excuse my frustrations, has been a struggle trying to find information on this.

I dont think it can be put down to a problem with an individual device as all apple products are struggling to connect. So surely this points to some setting on the router that is preventing them from connecting?

Message 4 of 10
Kitsap
Master

Have you configured seperate SSID's for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands?

Do you have Smart Connect enabled?

Message 5 of 10
EdCro
Tutor

Yes, I have seperate SSIDs for both networks.

I'm not sure about smart connect, I'll look into that cheers.

Message 6 of 10
maurontin
Aspirant

Same problem here as @EdCro.

All windows and android devices work fine.

All apple devices have SEVERE connection issues, frequent disconnections, slow internet.

Apple devices perform better when using my ISP's horrific default modem/router, meaning that this is for sure a problem related to D7000v2 (V1.0.0.56_1.0.1).

I am desperately looking for a solution.

PS: I have followed every step of Apple's guide for "recommended wifi settings", but no luck with that either (link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068)

Message 7 of 10
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Have you tried the latest firmware which can be found here.

D7000v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Message 8 of 10
maurontin
Aspirant

Thank you @w3wilkes  for the quick response.

I have updated to firmware version 1.0.0.64 and still iOS devices disconnect frequently. I have changed settings on the router, tried different settings on the phone, I am rapidly running out of options.

Are there perhaps known issues specifically between iPhone 7 and D7000? Could it be that the wifi-calling is enabled on the phone? Is it that I am using D7000v2 as an AP?

Thank you in advance.

Message 9 of 10

@maurontin wrote:

Are there perhaps known issues specifically between iPhone 7 and D7000? Could it be that the wifi-calling is enabled on the phone? Is it that I am using D7000v2 as an AP?

I doubt of any Apple issues are specific to the D7000. There are various reports of Apple things  going wrong with different routers.

Apple seems to be especially good at screwing up hardware that it doesn't make, especially with its own updates.

Have you tried this issue in Apple community's?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7