Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: BT Infinity Hub

KAYC
Aspirant

BT Infinity Hub

Currrenly upgrading to Superfast Infinity.  Have an ADSL DG834N  already working with standard Bt broadband - will the Netgear support Superfast?

Am told to plug in the supplied Smart hub on its arrival in time for when the  engineer connects new system.  WIll my Netgear continue to  function if kept plugged in during the changeover or will it  mess things up or need resetting?

Thanks for any advice given.

Model: DG834NBv2|RangeMax Wireless-N Router with Built-in DSL Modem
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
KAYC
Aspirant

Thought that might unfortunately  be the case Thank you for replying so quickly and with all I need to know - amazing!  

KAYC

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10

All Replies
Rick_K
Guide

Hi KAYC,

There is a small difference in the protocols used for BT Fibre vs the normal Broadband. Normal Broadband uses ADSL which as you know your router can handle perfectly fine. 
Only Modem & Routers with VDSL capabilities will support handeling BT Infinity without the need of a OpenReach modem or the BT Hub 4/5. 

Hopefully this answers your question, but simple version is, the DG834N will not be able to run alone with BT Infinity. 

Message 2 of 10
KAYC
Aspirant

Thought that might unfortunately  be the case Thank you for replying so quickly and with all I need to know - amazing!  

KAYC

Message 3 of 10
Rick_K
Guide

No worries, just happened to be on the forum myself so I thought there was no harm in responding 🙂 

Have a great week. 

Message 4 of 10
KAYC
Aspirant

And you. It was an enormous help.

Message 5 of 10

If you are looking for something to replace the useless BT Infinity Homehub, Netgear's combined ADSL/VDSL modems work fine.

I use a D6400.

Message 6 of 10
KAYC
Aspirant

Thank you so much.  It has slowly trickled into my head 'what if the Bt Hub performs badly?'  (seems to have had very mixed reviews) so that was going to be my next question. We have been very happy with our exisiting Netgear model which is set up to connect to our server, our wireless printer, television and connecting to each other's computers but it is getting on a bit now. We will need something that is in one model,and that can connect between three floors.  We upload and download quite large files (for our work) so need something with oomph. If  you or anyone has suggestions they woud be gratefully recieved.

KAYC

Message 7 of 10
KAYC
Aspirant

My apologies  - should also have said we prefer to remain entirely wireless - not much space for cables and hardware.

Message 8 of 10

If your current modem is pretty old, it will provide dreadful wifi capabilities. It won't be dual band. Is it even Gigabit Ethernet?

If you want to connect things like smart TVs and printers, I would look at a combination of a new modem/router and homeplugs for devices that don't move around.

Homeplugs take the LAN over the mains and can often beat wifi. I use homeplugs for smart TV and internet radio. Of course, for that to work, the hardware has to have a LAN socket. But I find that this is more likely for TVs than wifi, which often want more money to add that.

You can even buy homeplug packs that come with a wifi extender.

Message 9 of 10
KAYC
Aspirant

Thank you again - an amazingly quick response!   Our present modem/router is about 7 years old and worked wonderfully well around our last very difficult house really thick old stone walls and some modern metal frame construction).    I did just have a quick look at the tidy,Netgear model you recommended.  Nice and subtle looking for domestic placement, and the blurb suggests it will be what we are looking for.   I'll also bear in mind your advice re homeplugs. They could be a life saver.  THank oyu again for your advice,  it is much appreciated.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7