Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BT Ultra Fast

KevSmeg
Aspirant

BT Ultra Fast

Hi

I've been using the Netgear Nighthawk D7800 AC2600 for a couple of years now replacing BT's Infinty modem. I have since upgraded to the new BT Ultra fast modem doubling my internet speed. Unfortunatly when I plug in the D7800 now replacing their new hub I cannot get a internet connection. Has anyone had the same problem?

Thanks

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: BT Ultra Fast

> [...] D7800 [...]

Firmware version?

> [...] I have since upgraded to the new BT Ultra fast modem doubling my
> internet speed. [...]

An actual maker and model number might be interesting.

I know nothing about BT DSL service, but I can imagine that "Ultra
fast" is different from whatever you had before.  I'd probably reset the
settings on the D7800, pretend that it's a new router, and let it try to
adapt itself to the new DSL service.  If that fails, then I'd try to
determine the DSL settings on "the new BT Ultra fast modem", and see if
I could manually configure the D7800 accordingly.

For generic set-up instructions, visit http://netgear.com/support ,
put in your model number, and look for Documentation.  Get the User
Manual.  Read.

> [...] when I plug in the D7800 now replacing their new hub I cannot
> get a internet connection. [...]

"cannot" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions with their actual results (error messages, LED
indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.

Do the LED indicators indicate anything?  Is the DSL link good?

Message 2 of 4
KevSmeg
Aspirant

OK, Sorry for my vague questions, I'll try to fill in all the missing details.

Model number I have is NETGEAR D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router. I have flashed the unit with the latest firmware from Netgears website.

The BT Moden is just called BT Ultra fast smart hub. I believe they call it Home Hub 6. It;s a modem / wireless router combo. I can't find a model number. Its connection is fibre VDSL I think.

I know the internet settings for the BT modem as they are exactly the same as the old BT modem. So I used them in the Netgear. I tried resetting the Netgear router many times but I still couldn't get a internet connection on its own.

My optional thinking is - maybe I could use BT;s modem, as I know this works, and disable the wireless. Connect the BT hub from port 1 to the Netgears D7800 WAN port, use the Netgear as a wireless router only -- but still no internet connection to the Netgear. The BT modem is showing a internet link, but it's not talking to the Netgear.

Maybe there are other settings I need to change? both units have DHCP enabled. 

Someone told me to get a Netgear cable router, as this dosen't have a modem built in, and connect the BT modem to the WAN port. I'm not sure about this it seems to make sense.

Message 3 of 4

I don't think there are many people here familiar with BT Ultra Fast. This is the first discussion I have seen.

@KevSmeg wrote:

My optional thinking is - maybe I could use BT;s modem, as I know this works, and disable the wireless. Connect the BT hub from port 1 to the Netgears D7800 WAN port, use the Netgear as a wireless router only -- but still no internet connection to the Netgear.

A better option might be to use the D7800 as an access point. As it is, you have two routers on the network, which can cause headaches.

There is a support for the D7800, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See the section  Set Up the Modem Router as a WiFi Access Point Only.

Past experience suggests that in its "we know what's best for you" style, BT makes it impossible to use its modem/routers in modem only mode.

You don't need to turn off the modem's wifi. But it might be less confusing. I assume that BT allows this.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7